Cedric - update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Cedric - update

Postby iyapol » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:11 am

Without wanting to reignite the PSX thread, Cedric has responded to a fan on Twitter. Sometimes, I think we forget that Cedric is one of us - a fan.

His position is different to your average fan in that he was influential in reviving the series and has landed the 'co-producer' title in the process. But his tweet all but confirms that, in many respects, he is as much in the dark as us all when it comes to the game's development.

Feel free to lock the thread if you think it might turn into a witch-hunt - it wasn't my intention - but I felt his tweet justified its own discussion.

Cedric is as disappointed as the rest of us and has blamed it on his own fan instincts.

iyapol has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Cedric - update

Postby Kiske » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 am

Now what? Hype "all in" for December update?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby SMDzero » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 am

Kiske wrote: Image

Now what? Hype "all in" for December update?

December update: Yu Suzuki tours us through the copy room at YsNet offices. He shows us the office copy machine and how it sometimes jams.

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: -=SPZ=-47, Monkei
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:58 am

That's the highlighted problem with Shibuya Prod actually: he's supposed not to be a fan only.

I'm not complaining because that means Shenmue III is truly an indy game with YSnet proceeding in total freedom.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:31 am

Indeed.

I think it's always worth remembering that all the people involved are just people at the end of the days. Not professional machines who never err or perform below our sometimes impossible to meet standards depending on circumstances. I also choose to remember that without Cedric and company... this wouldn't even be happening.

While things are far from ideal... The alternative to this flawed, poorly executed, frustrating PR mess... is that Shenmue 3 wouldn't exist at all. Let's keep that in mind, I say.

As for the December update... as with PSX, I'm not holding my breath personally. I still expect nothing truly substantial until E3 or TGS. But I'd love to be pleasantly surprised! :D I'm okay with either outcome.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Kiske » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:16 am

When I was wondering in the now closed PSX topic if we really need to have a trailer in a big show, it was intended as for now and as far as the result is not up to Yu Suzuki's expectations. I didn't mean that Shenmue 3 doesn't need to make it in a big show at all but more that for now, there is no urgency since we are still 1 year away from the hypothetical and optimistic release date.

Of course I would be happy to see new footage of Shenmue 3 and get an idea of where the game development is right now.
That's why I would like to go back to Cédric's tweet.
He could have stopped right after "...not in charge of the PSX program" but he didn't. He asked us (fans) to stay tuned for the next update from the dev team. As a co-producer, I can't believe he knows very little more compared to us.
I still think something is in the pipeline for the near future, not only because of Cédric's tweets but also because of the KS dinner backers comments.

My question "Now what?" is genuine and I can't help but hope for something nice for the December update. Maybe not a full polished trailer, but new footage or updated images of Shenmue 3.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:57 am

Kiske wrote:That's why I would like to go back to Cédric's tweet.
He could have stopped right after "...not in charge of the PSX program" but he didn't. He asked us (fans) to stay tuned for the next update from the dev team.

It might still be worth tempering those expectations, as he could have simply meant "look to the dev team for your info in future and leave me the hell alone." :)

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Monkei
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:05 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Kiske wrote:That's why I would like to go back to Cédric's tweet.
He could have stopped right after "...not in charge of the PSX program" but he didn't. He asked us (fans) to stay tuned for the next update from the dev team.

It might still be worth tempering those expectations, as he could have simply meant "look to the dev team for your info in future and leave me the hell alone." :)

Oh. Didn't. See. It. That. Way.

I was so ready to jump back on the hype train :sad:

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby delvec19 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 am

English isn't his first language either, so everything he says very well may mean something else.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 am

I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised by a Christmas update, but I'm not expecting anything. It could be they throw something in to help ease over the PSX tensions.

I'll go with what the YSnet hiring leaflet said about moving into 'production' phase and 'ramping up' their engine in early 2017.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 am

Not expecting anything.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:35 am

I don't expect anything either.. or ever for that matter.

I got on the hype train before, and this is what happened:

SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby mrandyk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:12 pm

SMDzero wrote: I don't expect anything either.. or ever for that matter.

I got on the hype train before, and this is what happened:

Smart not to get over-hyped without hard evidence, but don't swear yourself off emotions entirely. At some point we will be just weeks and days away from release of SHENMUE 3, and I expect you to be all aboard that train.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Shenmue III