Voice Acting

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Voice Acting

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:37 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I want popular western videogame voice actors as far away as possible from Shenmue. But I do wish they kept Ryo's and Shenhua's original japanese voice acting.

So far Ryo's eng and japanese voice are confirmed but nothing on Shenhua yet.

Mr357 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: As a non-native English speaker, I also agree with Yokosuka.

Yes, there are weird lines and hilarious accents, but in general, the way characters talk in Shenmue 1 & 2 felt more realistic, than say, Uncharted or TLoU. It probably has to do with the script though.

In Uncharted/TLoU, everyone is trying to outsnark the other, and almost every line is written to sound 'cool"...
In Shenmue, NPCs talk the way I expect real people to talk... No snark, no pretension, people are moderately polite.

That is my take as a non-native English speaker, and I'm sure Native Speakers will disagree with me.

I also think the over the top accents and hilarious lines are part of the fun, and they never ever bothered me

I'm a native speaker and I totally agree with you. Sure, you can argue that many of the voice actors for Shenmue I weren't "good" (whatever that means), but they have this comfortable familiarity about them that I've rarely seen in other games. For anyone who doesn't understand what I mean, watch a sitcom and pay attention to how the actors talk. You'll find that it is very different from how people actually carry on conversations.

I feel very much the same
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:36 pm

I hope they use good voice actors. Playing Shenmue 2 on Xbox is unbearable. I grew up playing the first one on my Dreamcast and the 2nd (PAL version) on Dreamcast, with excellent Japanese voice overs. The Xbox one is painful, it really takes away from the immersion. I don't see how anyone can enjoy it? It seems far worse than Shenmue 1, which was pretty bad to begin with!
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Testament » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:12 pm

It's really interesting that the non-native English speakers find the English in Shenmue to be fine :) I get the same thing (I am fluent in Japanese) when I can't tell whether or not a bit of Japanese audio is "bad."

I will tell you, as a native English speaker, that the voice acting for the English dubs is really, really bad. Sure, it's got a sort of warmth and kitschy charm to it, but pretty much the entire cast was (or at least seemed to be) very unskilled at voice acting. I'll always love the dubs for how bad they are, but I highly recommend Suzuki & Co. hire some great voice actors and coaches for Shenmue III, especially considering today's industry as well as the fact that video game presentation has become quite grand, cinematic, and well-done in the years since we last saw Shenmue.
Testament
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shenmue_Music » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:35 pm

I don't think they should hire different voice actors now. It would be terrible since they would sound different from Shenmue I and II. Imagined if Ryo sounded different, that would completely ruin it for me. Especially since I grew up playing I and II in English. Maybe they could give the player a choice between them?
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Shenmue III with bad voice acting would not be good for this game.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Music » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:49 pm

Well then I guess I'm in the minority. I don't think it's bad at all. In fact, I think it's just like how it should be.
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Personally I would like it to be similar to what we had before I know this might be selfish. I want to feel like one year has past since I finished Shenmue II for the first time on the Dreamcast all those years ago.
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby punkmanced » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:00 am

The Room is a great movie for all the wrong reasons.
Having said that, I wouldn’t want a sequel anytime soon; being a one-time disaster is what makes the film so good, IMO.

With Shenmue, I have to wonder why some of you are masochistic enough to want not one, but three games filled with shitty acting.

I played S1 in English, and while the dub was atrocious, I can understand why some might be attached to those memories. Then again, nostalgia only works when relegated to the past. Wanting future installments to be filled with laughable acting is…something entirely different.

To each his own, I suppose.

punkmanced has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Monkei, O Rei do Frango Assado
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:53 am

I seriously don't get this besides nostalgia and the kung fu movie cheese appeal. The most iconic scene in the series - the intro to Shenmue 1 - has incredible voice acting besides Corey Marshall's loud coughs after Lan Di chokes him. Why would anyone want less than that?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Music » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:44 am

Well, I replayed the first two about a year ago (Shenmue I and II). And I didn't see anything wrong with it, I thought it was great actually. But I guess it's like punkmanced said, 'to each his own, I suppose'.
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:39 am

Mr357 wrote:watch a sitcom and pay attention to how the actors talk. You'll find that it is very different from how people actually carry on conversations.

"Pish-posh!"

"Poppycock!"

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Coromasta
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Previous

Return to Shenmue III