Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby Jibby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:53 pm

Have you guys been reading too much IGN or something? Why is there such a trend of hating Yu Suzuki and Shenmue III on here lately? So what if they're not as far into development as planned. It just means the game gets delayed (which a lot of people want anyway).

If what Rikitatsu says is to be believed, it's no wonder that we're not seeing super impressive material yet. However so many people pressure the studio to show us new material, they buckle to the pressure and release disappointing screenshots (with photoshoped elements), people see them and become even further disappointed and the cycle of hate continues.

Guys, Yu Suzuki literally said in this update that he's staying in his office overnight because he cares so much about Shenmue III. It's shameful to call Shenmue III 'humiliating' after seeing screenshots that we probably pressured the team to release with our constant messages after PSX. If the team are behind, we need to be understanding and supportive instead of going 'Games Media' mode. Shenmue III will be a great game, even if we have to wait a while longer for the good stuff to come to light.

Remember guys:

Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Lost Soul two years of development by one guy alone. Shenmue III, one and a half years of working, with an armada of professional employees. The comparison is pretty fair for me.
If I had no huge respect towards Suzuki, I would say that the situation is close to the humiliation.

But as I said, Lost Soul is not even the first example I had in mind. Basically, every good UE4 student can achieve a pretty similar work in two weeks.

The Chinese guy behind Lost Soul Aside is sure ultra talented, but know that his work so far in the game is just a concept prototype (not playable state). He said that everything he built so far was just the direction the game would go for, so basically what is seen in his game trailer. According to an interview, he stated that given the existing assets he used from the UE4 marketplace, 2 years is a reasonable amount of time for one person (professional working fulltime on it which he is) to achieve what he has done.

Shenmue 3 is certainly way way past that conceptual point if we were to believe in Yu's reports and the game is still on schedule to be released in 2017 (basically 2 years to complete the game), so I don't see how the situation is humiliating.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:17 pm

Jibby wrote:Guys, Yu Suzuki literally said in this update that he's staying in his office overnight because he cares so much about Shenmue III. It's shameful to call Shenmue III 'humiliating' after seeing screenshots that we probably pressured the team to release with our constant messages after PSX. If the team are behind, we need to be understanding and supportive instead of going 'Games Media' mode. Shenmue III will be a great game, even if we have to wait a while longer for the good stuff to come to light.

Jibby - The voice of reason! Love it when you post as you manage to put exactly what I am thinking, into better words than I ever could!

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: Jibby
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Jibby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm

SheepheadCG wrote:
Jibby wrote:Guys, Yu Suzuki literally said in this update that he's staying in his office overnight because he cares so much about Shenmue III. It's shameful to call Shenmue III 'humiliating' after seeing screenshots that we probably pressured the team to release with our constant messages after PSX. If the team are behind, we need to be understanding and supportive instead of going 'Games Media' mode. Shenmue III will be a great game, even if we have to wait a while longer for the good stuff to come to light.

Jibby - The voice of reason! Love it when you post as you manage to put exactly what I am thinking, into better words than I ever could!

Thanks man! I appreciate that :)

Jibby has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Fuck the haters and the negativity.

Merry Christmas Yu, make the best game you can.

Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Crazy to think that Shenmue was only properly unveiled in December 1998, and was aiming for a release in August of the following year. Fallout 4 was only revealed at E3 in the year that it would be released. Bioware released a trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda a few weeks ago and people were complaining about the facial animation; Bioware were quick to point out this was still being worked on.

We've still got a way to go folks. I do think it's a bit silly photoshopping the face on Ryo, would be better off leaving the existing character model or just doing what they did before and choosing an angle where it isn't visible, but overall these screens have me pretty hyped.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I can't believe this situation...Do you guys forget that making a game is VERY different than creating an scene with Unreal 4? Do you forget that Nokon Kid is onboard? Nokon was able to recreate almost all places from Shenmue 1 all alone, with passport's model of Ryo.
The graphics part is thelast one, they first create the rutines, I.A of NPCs, collisions, mocaps...a lot of HARD WORK before polishing graphics. In most works I've seen made in U4 by amateurs they don't have to control enemies, NPCs, game routines...only show a beautiful scene, but just this, a scene.

It's imposible they have problems with creating graphics when Nokon Kid alone could do it.

You have to be more patience, I'm sure next year we'll all be amazed with the improve they'll do.

Hazuki00 has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, SheepheadCG
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Kiske » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:There is nothing irresponsible with what i said. If people actually took my word at face value and lowered their expectations, if would be for their benefit.

It is irresponsible, because you basically dropped "hey something is totally fucked but I'm not saying what it is, peace out!" when you know people can't refute what you said or even contextualise it without breaking some kind of secrecy.

I said the game was earlier than we thought. If anyone is in the know, they can refute/or confirm. Doubt they will be breaking secrecy by doing so.

Are you saying, without saying it, that the game is going to be delayed?
Because if that's your information, don't worry, we can bear it.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Kiske wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:There is nothing irresponsible with what i said. If people actually took my word at face value and lowered their expectations, if would be for their benefit.

It is irresponsible, because you basically dropped "hey something is totally fucked but I'm not saying what it is, peace out!" when you know people can't refute what you said or even contextualise it without breaking some kind of secrecy.

I said the game was earlier than we thought. If anyone is in the know, they can refute/or confirm. Doubt they will be breaking secrecy by doing so.

Are you saying, without saying it, that the game is going to be delayed?
Because if that's your information, don't worry, we can bear it.

I really have no idea. Like most fans, I'm perfectly fine with a delay, so I'm hoping Suzuki doesn't feel compelled to reach the Dec. 2017 deadline at the cost of the game's quality. (Unless of course they start running out of cash, but I would assume Suzuki already took a possible delay into account)

I reeeeally doubt we're gonna get a trial version early next year though.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Jibby wrote: Have you guys been reading too much IGN or something? Why is there such a trend of hating Yu Suzuki and Shenmue III on here lately? So what if they're not as far into development as planned. It just means the game gets delayed (which a lot of people want anyway).

If what Rikitatsu says is to be believed, it's no wonder that we're not seeing super impressive material yet. However so many people pressure the studio to show us new material, they buckle to the pressure and release disappointing screenshots (with photoshoped elements), people see them and become even further disappointed and the cycle of hate continues.

Guys, Yu Suzuki literally said in this update that he's staying in his office overnight because he cares so much about Shenmue III. It's shameful to call Shenmue III 'humiliating' after seeing screenshots that we probably pressured the team to release with our constant messages after PSX. If the team are behind, we need to be understanding and supportive instead of going 'Games Media' mode. Shenmue III will be a great game, even if we have to wait a while longer for the good stuff to come to light.

Remember guys:

That's a romantic statement here but unlike a lot of fans here, I'm not waiting Shenmue III to know how the story ends only. Shenmue means much more for me. It's an experience to breath, where the meticulous sum of its specific elements constitute the heart and the uniqueness of the game.
By looking at these screenshots, I have no other choice to point out what is wrong, especially for a WIP born after one year of pre-production. And I think you shouldn't talk about "hate" each time someone dare to throw some critics. An overwhelming majority of fans are happy here, so what's the problem?

The delay is not the unique option. Yu can also decide to decrease the overall ambition of his game and here is the real problem. I did not wait 15 years for a Duke Nukem Forever, and that's why I was against Shenmue 3 for a long time as Sega had lost their faculty to make plenty of high-quality games.
If Yu Suzuki knew he can't manage to make a Shenmue up to the Dreamcast ones, he had only to refuse the project. I don't get the point of playing an average Shenmue game or reading the remaining story in a comic.
I have to specify I'm not waiting the most beautiful and deepest open world of the world, I just want something Shenmuish and I saw nothing of this so far, except maybe the Shenhua inside house in February.

Explaining me what is to be "supportive". Everyone here has given tons of money to YSnet. I personally had to broke an alternative bank account to feed the campaign and I still try to defend the project on social medias as much as I can, although YSnet currently don't facilitate the task by persisting with the ridiculous communication they're intending since the beginning of the campaign. I don't know what i could do more beside lying to myself and I don't think one YSnet employee has ever read Shenmue Dojo since the start of the development.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I said the game was earlier than we thought. If anyone is in the know, they can refute/or confirm. Doubt they will be breaking secrecy by doing so.

You're skipping ahead quite a few posts now.

I get it if you feel slightly sheepish about that first one and are avoiding the topic by going to your more measured response.

But offering to accept a refutation is a cheap way out of this because you know how delicate the subject is and that assurances have been made to stay quiet. You've made a vague interpretation of the information one way, which can't really be dispelled without getting detailed.

This is not managing expectations, it's negative speculation. Although I do note you've climbed down from your initial comment, because I'm sure you realised too that it was over the top.

The question for everybody else is how much weight they put into what you've said.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Damn Shenmue fans are hard to please.
15 years after the last installment and a sequel is finally being made? Not good enough as it didn't get $10 million or more.
Release of WIP screenshots as pleaded by fans? Not good enough, too much UE4 generic looking in it even for a WIP (and still being aware that recent high budget games built on the same engine has that familiar UE4 look even in the final product ie. Street Fighter 5 and Gears of War 4).
Yu Suzuki spending day and night at the office working and thinking nothing other than Shenmue? Not good enough as apparently some indie designers using assets from UE4 marketplace are able to make a game at the same amount of time.

I would think that taking shots from the press would feel like a compliment at this point.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jcjimher » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 pm

I will only say I'm super happy with this update!

Of course the screenshots are early, but they feel like glimpses of a dream that I still find hard to believe will happen after so many years of waiting and uncertainty...

jcjimher has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
I get it if you feel slightly sheepish about that first one and are avoiding the topic by going to your more measured response.

I was trying hard not to delve into specifics the first time around, but people kinda freaked out, which I guess is to be expected, hence my clarified post. In hindsight, I should've probably posted nothing in the first place.

But offering to accept a refutation is a cheap way out of this because you know how delicate the subject is and that assurances have been made to stay quiet. You've made a vague interpretation of the information one way, which can't really be dispelled without getting detailed.

I don't think commenting on whether or not the game is earlier in development than most of us thought would break anyone's NDAs. Can they refute/confirm anything in detail? Probably not... But they can quote me and say "This is Bullshit".
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:08 pm

SheepheadCG wrote:

Yep, good to hear someone making so much sense on here!

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, SheepheadCG
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III