Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Kintor » Mon May 29, 2017 12:00 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Oh God...

Under the circumstances I'd rather having nothing at E3 then unfinished footage that Yu Suzuki wasn't satisfied with. The expectations surrounding Shenmue 3 are immense, there's no room for error when it comes to showing new footage. Better to avoid E3 entirely and wait for a better opportunity to show Shenmue 3 in the most favourable light.

Kintor has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 29, 2017 12:03 am

Himuro wrote:I don't like it. I'm not saying to chase photorealistim but I don't want manga style characters either. There's a medium. Realism doesn't necessarily mean photo realistic.

I'd wait to see a bit more before you make your mind up about it, but in all honesty, it's a lot better than a half-measure between the art and realism; and them possibly falling short in either department. Miyawaki's art has a lot of personality that was kinda lost when translated to 3D in the original games, so I'm glad they're making good use of his work.

Centrale wrote:That's my takeaway... that the model looks more like a fully realized version of the character design art than we've seen previously. There's something lively about the character design sketches that has not always translated well to the 3D characters. This looks like it has a lot of the personality of the drawings carried over really well to the character model.

Completely agreed.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 am

Kintor wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Oh God...

Under the circumstances I'd rather having nothing at E3 then unfinished footage that Yu Suzuki wasn't satisfied with. The expectations surrounding Shenmue 3 are immense, there's no room for error when it comes to showing new footage. Better to avoid E3 entirely and wait for a better opportunity to show Shenmue 3 in the most favourable light.

The game is supposedly coming out in December. The opportunities to show it off are getting thinner. I hope this is pre recorded footage and not a representation of what the game looks like right now
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon May 29, 2017 12:10 am

Again, I'm fine with this model. But if they make it entirely like a stylized manga like Spaghetti is proposing...

Himuro has received a thanks from: BlackHeaven
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sappharad » Mon May 29, 2017 12:12 am

Himuro wrote: I had a problem with it looking cartoony as well, but then I realized that there's no lighting or detail at all on the model. Also, characters like the yakuza boss and Goro also looked somewhat cartoony despite the realistic aesthetic.

This.

They haven't changed the art style on us. We already saw in the last development video with Ryo opening a cabinet that in the context of the game environment everything looks how we would expect based on the previous games. This just looks different because it's not presented in game.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 29, 2017 12:15 am

Himuro wrote: Again, I'm fine with this model. But if they make it entirely like a stylized manga like Spaghetti is proposing...

Some character designs are going to be more extreme than others. Even looking at the existing character art, some designs are more "normal", if that's what you're worried about. I don't expect main characters to have features this exaggerated.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:The game is supposedly coming out in December. The opportunities to show it off are getting thinner. I hope this is pre recorded footage and not a representation of what the game looks like right now

I think we can put the idea of a 2017 release in the can now.

As for the footage, they're testing the model in a neutral environment, if that's what you're talking about.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 29, 2017 12:21 am

There's the regular directional light, and there's a city skybox that affects the global illumination...

I don't know, I hope they find the key in the artstyle, I hope it doesn't fall in the inbetween like some games that feels off (I'm remembering the saint seiya game).

TBH I'm not really feeling it, specially since most of the enviroments we have been seeing were pretty realistic, who knows, too far/too little to get a picture.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: killthesagabeforeitkillsu
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 29, 2017 12:24 am

Actually, you know what it kinda reminds me of? How the Zelda team have handled their art. They've always stuck pretty closely to their paper character designs even while going "realistic".

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SegaMon » Mon May 29, 2017 12:24 am

This character model doesnt look like a Shenmue character. The design, yes. The end product, no. Shenmue was always meant to be more realistic on its final styling with a strong artistic underpinning. Chai is a good example of this. He is a cartoony type character and his design matches that. However, the end character turns out being someone that could actual exist in the real world. I hope that this character model is only a representation of the character design and they will work on making it more realistic in the future.

And, wow, that is such a boring and disappointing way to say that Shenmue 3 will not be at E3...
SegaMon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Zelda: Skyward Sword

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 am

Indeed if you are going to make the characters models street fighter-ish. The environments should look more cel shaded.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 am

For those complaining about it not looking realistic enough for Shenmue...

Bluecast has received 3 thanks from: fittersau, RiGoRmOrTiS, SledgeNE
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 29, 2017 12:34 am

shredingskin wrote: There's the regular directional light, and there's a city skybox that affects the global illumination...

Not 100% sure, but I think that's their environment for testing physically based rendering.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 29, 2017 12:38 am

Gonna see after it updates (if I don't go to sleep before that).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 29, 2017 12:43 am

Bluecast wrote: For those complaining about it not looking realistic enough for Shenmue...

Body structure looks more realistic despite the low res textures. Face doesn't look bad either.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:47 am

This doesn't look "anime" to me, personally. Honestly, it looks like Shenmue, brought into an contemporary engine and art direction.

I mean... it's not like Dou Niu, Chai, Ren, or really any major, non simple NPC character in the original Shenmue games, wasn't similarly highly stylized and "cartoonish" (I don't agree with that adjective personally, I would prefer "heightened" or "stylized.") Even major characters like Lan Di, especially in the face, were not exactly what I'd call "realistic." They were all very, very exaggerated. The mixture of lesser characters being "realistic" (though even that's debatable,) and the realism of the world, with those heightened, fantasy elements in more prominent characters is what made Shenmue Shenmue to me, in terms of art design.

This was inevitable, though. By using a new engine to bring to life their concept art, it was bound to be the case (as has been the case with literally every contemporary rebirth of an old beloved franchise from before modern graphical tech emerged that I've played - *Looks at the $#|+storm surrounding Dreamfall Chapters' Zoe model*) that many would be disappointed with the approach to the character models.

It's never going to look like Shenmue I & II. It's just not. And yes, granted, I know what people are going to say already: "But we didn't want it to look exactly like Shenmue, but just for it to have the same basic aesthetic direction as the originals, but using new technology." And yes, some of this is not down to the engine or how models are created, and more down to art direction - I get that.

But it's also true that as much as we love and are accustomed to the art direction in the first two games... it's a simple fact of reality that all art is a product of the time and place where it is made, and that hindsight is 20/20, and that looking back, most artists exposed to newer ideas, techniques, and technologies, would probably have done things differently if they did them today, vs 15 years ago. And the environment, time, and even the minds in which this new Shenmue are being created, are necessarily and inevitably different than they were back then.

Strict adherence to what was, may not be the goal here. For all sorts of reasons. But then... to ME... this actually looks like a character that would have fit in well in Shenmue 2 as a boss or some such so... I'll just have to agree to disagree with those who feel he doesn't look like he belongs in Shenmue. On the contrary, every single example people have posted here to demonstrate "realism" in the previous entries, looks "cartoony" (exaggerated and heightened,) to me. *Shrugs* Opinions. Whatchagonna do?

So, I'm fine with this personally, but to each their own. I'm not telling people they're wrong to dislike anything or to desire a different direction. I'm just saying I'm okay with it myself.

I love this design direction, precisely BECAUSE it demonstrates they've found a way to make characters that are similarly stylized to the first two games (rather than "realistic,") in my eyes, in the new engine. But I foresee there will be a large contingent that hates the final game's art direction, and that's their prerogative. No desire to debate it, as always. I don't do internet debates. :p

(If people think the uproar about this is bad, wait until they reveal the final Ryo model. I can already predict I'll probably be fine with it, and many people will be outright enraged.)

Such is life.
Last edited by Anonymous81 on Mon May 29, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous81 has received 4 thanks from: fittersau, FlagshipFighter, rdk_nl, The_Intruder
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III