Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 3:01 am

Himuro wrote:

Why did you bring it up then if you don't believe it's relevant to current affairs? :-k

People complaining about this new characters design as if destroys the realism the series started in when we have seen worse and that possibly it was always going to escape that realism the further the series went.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 3:09 am

Bluecast wrote:People complaining about this new characters design as if destroys the realism the series started in when we have seen worse and that possibly it was always going to escape that realism the further the series went.

It's a matter of aesthetic look, not about "realism" (though I didn't like the ending of 2 for that reason).

You can have a very realistic game with cartoony graphics, and you can have a fantasylike game with realistic graphics.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue May 30, 2017 3:21 am

Can we all agree that a character aesthetic close to the Shenhua & Ryo models in the Shenmue Dojo header would be most appropriate?

God I hope the development team senses this.

ShenmueLegacy has received a thanks from: killthesagabeforeitkillsu
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SegaMon » Tue May 30, 2017 3:28 am

I have a very hard time reading your bright blue text, Bluecast. It actually hurts my eyes. Therefore I have been not been reading your full text.

We are all very passionate about Shenmue in one way or another and for different reasons. I, personally, loved Shenmue because of the realism it was trying to accomplish with a beautiful and artistic foundation. This is what made Shenmue have so much depth to me.

For Shenmue 3, I'm reserving judgment until we have a finished product, of course, but it is great to express our thoughts with each other during the development process peacefully. I'm sure that the final aesthetic will be a bit different than we see here even if the geometry of this character remains mostly unchanged. So often little tweaks make a big difference. Hopefully the aesthetic will become more realistic (or "Shenmueish") but we shall see. Patience...
SegaMon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Zelda: Skyward Sword

Postby Kiske » Tue May 30, 2017 3:44 am

As I said before, I really like this new character. I can't say exactly why, but when I see both the concept and the rendered model (even at this stage) what comes to my mind is "Shenmue's back!".

From what I've read on Twitter and the update comments section of the KS, there are a lot of positive feedback about the character. Especially when it comes to animation.

Shenmue 3 development may take longer than expected (or hoped) but really, I have the feeling they are going in the right direction and doing a great job. We speak about a game developed 17 years after the original one. When you think about the huge leap in term of technology 17 years represent, what Yu-San and the team are accomplishing is almost a miracle.

PS. This was posted by Spags on NeoGaf (artwork from @kusu26moosky on Twitter):

Brilliant!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby BigTuna » Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 am

Listen. We can all accept bright blue text or not. It is Bluecast's vision. I, personally, do not want my Shenmue Dojo with bright blue text. So I'm opting out of reading it from now on. But I am only one person.

BigTuna has received a thanks from: Mystere
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 4:18 am

Is this easier to read? I just never want go back to this guys text. I have just always typed in blue and kinda for better or worse popularized that trend by accident way way back when in 2004.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kiske » Tue May 30, 2017 4:22 am

Bluecast wrote: Is this easier to read? I just never want go back to this guys text. I have just always typed in blue and kinda for better or worse popularized that trend by accident way way back when in 2004.

I can't believe I'm actually talking about text colour, but for me this "0080FF" looks perfect. :king:

Kiske has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby fittersau » Tue May 30, 2017 4:27 am

shredingskin wrote:
You can have a very realistic game with cartoony graphics, and you can have a fantasylike game with realistic graphics.

Final Fantasy XV would like to have a word with you. :lol:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Tue May 30, 2017 4:34 am

Bluecast wrote: If you can't handle a guy who didn't make it into SFV then I wonder what will happen when the half man half spider enters the story.

Wow, I'd never seen that before. Doing a reverse image search, found out it's from Shenmue Online. Maybe that game was going to be more fantastical, who knows, but that's still a cool design.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 4:38 am

fittersau wrote:
shredingskin wrote:

Final Fantasy XV would like to have a word with you. :lol:

Sorry for the autism but do you mean as a joke that the game is not good or you mean that the artstyle doesn't fit ?

EDIT: also a lot of people are having positive reactions to the new model, so maybe my reaction has to do a little bit with being a zealot.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby darksniper » Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 am

I really wish that Sega would lend their development tools to YS to help with these character models. Whoever does the character models for the Yakuza games would have a good chance of nailing the look that we're expecting out of Shenmue III.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:23 am

Centrale wrote: I would suggest that anyone who thinks this is some kind of radical departure from the established style of Shenmue to take a moment to look at the older character models with fresh eyes. This is just a quick sampling of screen grabs from the Shenmue wiki. There has always been a strongly stylized aesthetic to Shenmue.

I don't know what people mean when they refer to "manga" style as manga is an entire vast body of literature that encompasses thousands of styles by tens of thousands of artists. To me this looks consistent with the established Shenmue style.

Totally agree.

Spaghetti wrote:
Gen wrote: Well, I didn't say the new model from the update necissarily was a drastic change in design, I meant that if Ryo would look like Miyawakis cocept image in the game, yes, that would be drastic change.

Ryo Hazuki was literally introduced to the world in the Shenmue Premiere by crossfading from Miyawaki illustrations to his in-game model.

https://youtu.be/QM2bkUm1eT8?t=396

And what I said specifically, was people should not expect passport Ryo.

Looking at that (wow, first time I've seen it in years btw! Thanks for that flashback!) it's abundantly clear to me that the art direction and style of the original game was never intended to be "realism." The world, yes. The characters? Not so much.

Whether this "new" style in Shenmue 3 is actually new, or a modern rendering of the existing style, of course, is a matter of subjective opinion. People don't have to like it, or agree that it fits in with the previous games, but personally I remain pleased.

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS, Spaghetti
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 8:28 am

phpBB [video]
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 8:55 am

darksniper wrote: I really wish that Sega would lend their development tools to YS to help with these character models. Whoever does the character models for the Yakuza games would have a good chance of nailing the look that we're expecting out of Shenmue III.

There's nothing in their toolset YSnet doesn't already have with UE4. Yakuza and Shenmue just have different aesthetics.

If you want something that looks like Yakuza, go play Yakuza.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III