Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am

why bringing up Shenmue Online designs here?
i believe it was stated by Suzuki himself in a different occasions that Shenmue Online fantasy themes doesn't have to do anything with the main plot of the original Shenmue.
yes the the story is starting to have light fantasy elements and it was always intended to do and probably it will go deeper in that direction in the future but not to that extent seen in Shenmue Online materials.

Suzuki Yu has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 am

I personally don't understand all the fuss over a clearly unfinished character model.

Maybe this is why we aren't seeing a lot of backer updates. If this is what it's like on the Dojo I daren't even guess what the KS comments are like. I'd expect this sort of behaviour from ill-informed 'journalists' from IGN or Eurogamer, but not those claiming to be Shenmue fans.

Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

Sonoshee wrote: I personally don't understand all the fuss over a clearly unfinished character model.

Maybe this is why we aren't seeing a lot of backer updates. If this is what it's like on the Dojo I daren't even guess what the KS comments are like. I'd expect this sort of behaviour from ill-informed 'journalists' from IGN or Eurogamer, but not those claiming to be Shenmue fans.

It's like football you know.
Around World Cup time.
500 million fans, 500 million coaches... and every single one knows better than Yu. :mrgreen:

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby fittersau » Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 am

Sonoshee wrote: I personally don't understand all the fuss over a clearly unfinished character model.

To be honest, it's quite sad.

Ys Net Yu Suzuki can't win. Can't please fans, can't please press. And people wonder why they aren't releasing a trailer on a mostly unfinished game. It would be torn to shreds.

Very glad, they've minimised the reveal, because I want to enjoy the game as it I play, rather than it exposed in many bits in which I probably mentally put together the parts and guess the rest. Most importantly, not let the dev team be exposed to the excessive whinging and complaining which would dampen morale.

I suspect most of the disappointment is this model and their reluctance to show a full video indicates they are behind in schedule and won't release in 2017. To this, again I say, great. More time for them to get it right, rather than rush it out as turd and completely ruin the name of Shenmue.

We've all waited this long, whats another year or bit?

Worse is the unnecessary, in-fighting and petty squabbles mainly here, pretty toxic for any sort of community. ](*,)

fittersau has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, Sonoshee, Spaghetti
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby alexironaek » Tue May 30, 2017 11:49 am

well , i really do not care when shen 3 is going to be released... maybe some of you are going to say that i am mad but actually i will have no problem if game gets delayed. That way i'd be sure that Yu is taking his time and he is not thinking about deadlines but about making a great game.

Nevertheless i now understand that shen 3 is going to be heavily criticized by fans. Everyone has a vision for shenmue 3 and the pressure For YS.NET to please everyone is high. I am really afraid that when the game comes out lots of people will be whining about every little detail. I think that we all have to take a step back and think where we were before shenmue 3 got announced. No one cared about the console , no one cared about the money , no one cared about anything. Lots of fans were suggesting that the story should be finished via books for Christ sake!!! we've gone a long way. Just be grad that we are getting shenmue 3, have faith in Yu and stop being so judgmental...its just an early version of a character...If the game comes out and the characters look like mario then yes , i'be be disappointed too. Until then i am the happiest man alive thinking than there will be a time than i am gonna see the shenmue 3 intro screen on my TV.

alexironaek has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty
alexironaek
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm not sure where I read it, maybe in here some folk said that the date in the video where the model is showed reads '12/01/17' or something like this, so this means they are way too advanced than we think. As I always think, they are showing us dated material just to not unveil anything.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I'm not sure where I read it, maybe in here some folk said that the date in the video where the model is showed reads '12/01/17' or something like this, so this means they are way too advanced than we think. As I always think, they are showing us dated material just to not unveil anything.

I'm not sure where that is in the video, but I wouldn't read into it. The date on the PC during the recording is the 24th of May 2017.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby badamn » Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: New character doesn't look too impressive graphically and I still can't believe we haven't even seen ryo's face. I'm guessing this game is probably two years away from release, which is troubling unless they've been funded with more than Kickstarter funds. I know this is a Shenmue fan forum so a healthy dose of optimism is expected, but there are some pretty laughable posts on here tonight...

I know ur just"guessing"but u base this two year delay on what exactly?What they've decided to share with us?
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote: I'm not sure where I read it, maybe in here some folk said that the date in the video where the model is showed reads '12/01/17' or something like this, so this means they are way too advanced than we think. As I always think, they are showing us dated material just to not unveil anything.

I'm not sure where that is in the video, but I wouldn't read into it. The date on the PC during the recording is the 24th of May 2017.

Yeah, they can record the video on that date but this doesn't mean that the work they are showing is up to date.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:Yeah, they can record the video on that date but this doesn't mean that the work they are showing is up to date.

I don't really see what the point of obfuscating that stuff is. It's better taken at face value.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm

The date is indeed 2017 January 18th, it's readable in the asset tab. Looks like the model is pretty definitive.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby badamn » Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 pm

i concur its the best looking face model weve seen so far and it is acceptable

badamn has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:Yeah, they can record the video on that date but this doesn't mean that the work they are showing is up to date.

I don't really see what the point of obfuscating that stuff is. It's better taken at face value.

The point is, we may think they won't get to december release based on this dated material and the truth is that they might release the game at the estimated dated because they are advanced in the development.

I have sometimes a hard time explaining myself because english is not my native language but I hope I could explaining myself #-o

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

The point is, we may think they won't get to december release based on this dated material and the truth is that they might release the game at the estimated dated because they are advanced in the development.

I have sometimes a hard time explaining myself because english is not my native language but I hope I could explaining myself #-o

Model and animations are two different things. They still may adjust the bones in June. I don't think there are any bluff here. But sure they're hiding a lot of another finished stuff from us.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby darksniper » Tue May 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
darksniper wrote: I really wish that Sega would lend their development tools to YS to help with these character models. Whoever does the character models for the Yakuza games would have a good chance of nailing the look that we're expecting out of Shenmue III.

There's nothing in their toolset YSnet doesn't already have with UE4. Yakuza and Shenmue just have different aesthetics.

If you want something that looks like Yakuza, go play Yakuza.

I want something that looks like Shenmue. When I look at what we've seen so far, Shenmue III looks nothing like it. It looks like Street Fighter IV. Yakuza looks more like a Shenmue game than Shenmue III at this point.

The fact remains that Shenmue III is a budget game that is going to get slammed to death by both loyalists and the press. All of this can be avoided if Sega steps in and provides real support of the development of the game. Getting Yakuza's team to work on the game would be a step in the right direction as they have cranked out games nearly every year and has garnered the success that Shenmue never reached.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III