Switch or PSVR

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Kintor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 am

Thief wrote: I've tried both the PSVR and the Vive, and I was disappointed with the PSVR's quality in comparison. And even further, while I thought VR was kind of cool, it's nothing I would see myself playing in my leisure time. It's too much effort to deal with, it gives me motion sickness after 30 minutes or so, and the games have more of a "theme park attraction" feeling to them. I'm sure support will probably evolve for it, but I wouldn't even think of getting one. Switch all the way. It'll have games that you're going to want to play.

I'm sorry to hear that you began experiencing motion sickness so quickly after trying VR. Honestly though, some games are worse than others when it comes to motion sickness, it always helps to do your research and see how other players react to specific games before jumping into a new VR experience. Beyond that you do actually build-up something of a tolerance to 'simulation sickness' with time, as your mind becomes more accustomed to VR and its sometimes contradictory sensory inputs.

As for the difference between the PSVR and the Vive, it's fair to say that the PSVR is the weaker device of the two. With that said, I still believe that PSVR represents the far better chance for VR to go mainstream in the immediate future. The huge 60 million userbase of the PS4 makes it easier for people to become early VR adopters, since they've already spent the money on a console with sufficient power to handle VR at an acceptable level. The PSVR may not be perfect but it's still good enough showcase the true potential of VR and it's already getting more third-party support then the Vive.

Axm wrote: So games I have atm that support the PSVR are..

Resident Evil 7
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Star Wars Battlefront
Drive Club
Geometry Wars 3
Final Fantasy XV
Fallout 4 (update incoming)
Skyrim (update incoming)

Plus cinematic mode for other games and when watching movies.

Games that I will want anyways that can or will also support PSVR:

Ace Combat 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Rez Infinite
Farpoint
Dirt Rally

So then the question is are these games worth playing in VR?
Certainly I can say the most worth it would probably be Ace Combat 7 and Gran Turismo to me..
But after that whats coming out? Sony didn't showcase PSVR to the degree I hoped for at E3.

I guess I should consider the fact that PSVR even though nearing the 2 year mark, is still in its infancy. Also perhaps by the time it does really take off, a version 2 of the hardware might be out.
Also its only available in white.. I have all my entertainment center stuff in black. That would just totally clash like as if...

Firstly, I must mention that Fallout 4 isn't coming to the PSVR at the moment, that's a Vive exclusive. Just as how Skyrim VR is currently a PSVR exclusive. That might change with time but for now each game is an exclusive to a specific VR platform.

Regardless, I do think that those gamers are worth playing in VR. I also bought a disc copy of Rez Infinite like Raithos, I think that VR is the way that Rez Infinite was always meant to be played. Here's what I said when I first got the game:

Kintor wrote: So, Rez Infinite finally arrived in the mail today:

The whole internet should be exactly like this!

Rez for everybody! Put a VR headset in every home!

Make every webpage and every forum an exercise in digital synaesthesia!

... *ahem*

Anyway, I could have bought the digital version but I ordered the physical copy from iam8bit because I really wanted a Rez Infinite disc to add to my collection. It was worth the wait, Rez Infinite is easily the best game on PlayStation VR right now. Not too shabby for a 16 year old Dreamcast game.

It probably helps that Rez Infinite was already designed to look like a VR environment. Even though you don't see things from a first person perspective the level of immersion is truly amazing. You are surrounded by the overwhelming sensory information that is Rez - you aren't just playing a game - you truly are part of the game. No joke, Rez Infinite in VR is closer than anyone else has come to making it feel like you've somehow hardwired your consciousness into the internet.

Now granted, more grounded games like Driveclub VR aren't going have quite the same *ahem* transcendent experience but they are still cool none the less. Just being able to experience a digital world from within the game itself is a wonderful feeling. It's little things, like instinctively wanting to look around a corner to gain a better view and then being surprised when the game reacts like the physical world and allows you to do just that.

Still, in terms of value for money think of the PSVR, with its current amount of games, as a way to compliment what you were already planning to do anyway on the PSVR. We haven't yet reached the point when a VR console can sustain itself with its only library but more content is being added to PSVR every month. I think that Skyrim VR is a huge deal that will lead to a paradigm shift in the kinds of VR games being made, although Skyrim VR won't be released until the end of the year. In the end it's simply a question of when VR content hits that 'critical mass' of interesting games for you.

I chose to support PSVR as an early adopter, because I've been waiting for VR my entire life. I won't waste this opportunity to finally ensure VR goes mainstream, after all the promises that were made in the 90s. I think that now the technology is finally ready and relatively affordable enough for consumer release. It’s early days yet but I have no doubt that VR is the future of gaming, as it was always meant to be.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Axm
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 am

I guess my biggest fear is that both of these at one point or another will collect dust for months after I go through the honey moon phase with it.

I could spend my money on something else but the cool factor of both these devices draws me in.

In the end what ill do is just go back to playing MLB The Show religiously as I always do.
Literally just got Mass Effect Andromeda, played for 20 minutes and went back to MLB.

Axm has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:10 am

Switch will have Skyrim as well plus it's the special edition includes all DLC also has the optional motion controls the VR version has but is on the go. Won't have 3D tho. I think if you like that and Horizon BoTW is a game that is demanding to be experienced. Not a huge Zelda fan myself but that game offered freedom like few games can. It's one of the rare times I will say this game is literally only as limited as the persons imagination playing it. It does not hold your hand AT ALL. You can go to the final boss almost right away. I made a motorboat by being creative and made a airship the same way. It's not a mechanic just something you can do because you imagined it. You really can tackle problems any way you want. Game doesn't tell you how. Rarely a wrong way. It's why I made myself put it down it absorbed me lol.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 am

Axm wrote: I guess my biggest fear is that both of these at one point or another will collect dust for months after I go through the honey moon phase with it.

They will man, they're toys.

Maybe a little less with the switch that you can carry around, but still...

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Axm
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kintor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:06 am

Axm wrote: I guess my biggest fear is that both of these at one point or another will collect dust for months after I go through the honey moon phase with it.

I could spend my money on something else but the cool factor of both these devices draws me in.

In the end what ill do is just go back to playing MLB The Show religiously as I always do.
Literally just got Mass Effect Andromeda, played for 20 minutes and went back to MLB.

Eh... Mass Effect Andromeda was a disappointment to say the least. I hope you kept the receipt for that one; it might just be Bioware's worst game to date. (I still have a soft spot for Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.) Regardless, don't let a bad experience like that scare you off investing in new gaming technology.

The best advice that I can give is to treat the PSVR as an extension of the PS4, not as a whole extra console in its own right. I mean, lately I've been spending a huge amount of time playing Persona 5, rather than using the PSVR functionality specifically. Although now that I've finally beaten Persona 5 I'm able to once again give the PSVR a greater amount of my attention. So, I've been mucking around in Job Simulator, it’s a glorified tech demo but still one of the most creative and interactive VR experiences available today.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GameHacKeR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:06 am

Hard choice in my opinion, I'm aware that SONY needs your money more than Nintendo to stay afloat, but there is ALOT of Nintendo WiiU Ports that will be coming too the switch which are worth playing, And ALOT of new games to come as well,
I will be getting myself a PS4 somewhere down the line for Detroit uncharted collection and 4, I believe SONY pushed the VR so much is because they NEED! to sell that hardware to stay afloat,
The Switch WILL be fun and will be around for at least another 5 years but probably longer if you believe what was leaked in there 2013 patent for the NX prototype which I do (Addon home console which works with the handheld counterpart for extra power)

In this case since I don't want SONY to take a shit and die, so i'd say get the VR kit and the playstation move controllers,
The Switch will still be there for you when you get the money together for both,
But if you don't get the VR kit ps4 etc etc, SONY may not be there for you as a option in the future, at least in the forum you'd hope.

SEGA is a good example, still here today but not the way we remember them because people didn't choose to support them when they needed us the most.
GameHacKeR
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby ys » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:11 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: It really just comes down to how much you like Nintendo games.

That's also how I look at it.

Raithos wrote:I loved every second of Elite Dangerous but even that's not enough to make me take the plunge. I tried RE7 on my brothers PSVR and while it was definitely cool, I prefer to play it normally. Its not something I would use everyday as it takes actual effort and most of the time I just want to kick back and play.

I always thought that games like Elite Dangerous and Gran Turismo would be great with VR.
I also tried RE7, was neutral towards VR but not that impressed in the end. It didn't feel much more immersive for some reason. Maybe due to using a headset while using specific controller input? Different perception of the in game body? It made me think that story and gameplay would still add a lot to immersion even on a flat screen.

I'm curious when/if VR will get huge. We've had VR and 3D-tv before but research showed that many casual users don't want to set up and calibrate. Even 3D-glasses were bothersome.
Also, a study about The Hobbit showed that those who watched in 3D remembered least/were less into it. Neuroscientists noted that the unnatural perception made the brain process the visuals more. So less brain power was dedicated to the rest. Developers will have to continue trying different ways to implement the technology I guess.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Lowest price yet. $300 brand new from Newegg via eBay. Look at the re-sellers buying multiples lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS4-PlayStation ... 2296776223
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:47 pm

I would take oculus more seriously, they are investing some money to get some exclusives in there.

But I still think they need some time. The alpha hololens from MS is like 2000 bucks, it seems to do an OK job.

I don't see much for the first base comsumer to jump right now, and for content it's hard to say because PS has would be interested in investing money to be the first ones to achieve a good userbase for VR. But at the same time the market still look at it like a toy more than a platform.

After the resurgence of third person cameras in gaming, it's hard to see a close future that most games use VR.

It's weird because the requirements for VR are quite a leap from regular gaming, even when mainstream engines use them, it just means the tech isn't really here yet (similar to 4K).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:09 am

Ok so just sold my old PS4 like I said I would.
Got more than I thought too.
Then tried to find a Switch at all the big box retailers.. couldnt find it.
Finally decided to check out this small shop. Boom they had it and in all black like I want..
Then it just hit me.

What the hell am I doing? I still haven't finished countless games in my back log. Especially Persona 5, Mass Effect Andromeda (which ive barely touched) and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Do I really need to spend over ¥50,000 right now?
So I walked out the door with my cash in hand.
Fuck me right? I still want it but thats alot of money for a system I dont think ill be playing even half as much as the PS4 Pro.

This needs to sit in the oven for me abit.

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kintor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 am

shredingskin wrote: I would take oculus more seriously, they are investing some money to get some exclusives in there.

Oculus started going downhill when they got bought out by Facebook. The quality of new Oculus tech and the different focus of the company all rest at Facebook's feat. Make no mistake, Mark Zuckerberg would rather stifle VR innovation then allow any kind of new VR community to replace Facebook as the primary way many people communicate over the internet.

Fortunately then, Oculus (and Facebook) don't have a monopoly on the VR industry. Both Sony and HTC have already surpassed Oculus by leaps and bounds. Get a PSVR or a Vive if you believe in the future, don't waste your money on Facebook's Oculus Rift.

Axm wrote: Ok so just sold my old PS4 like I said I would.
Finally decided to check out this small shop. Boom they had it and in all black like I want..
Then it just hit me.

What the hell am I doing? I still haven't finished countless games in my back log. Especially Persona 5, Mass Effect Andromeda (which ive barely touched) and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Fuck me right? I still want it but thats alot of money for a system I dont think ill be playing even half as much as the PS4 Pro.

No doubt, this year has been absolutely crazy with the sheer number of must have games. Today I actually passed up the chance to buy Final Fantasy XV on sale because I already have Valkyria Revolution and Yakuza Kiwami on pre-ordered; adding another massive JRPG to the backlog seemed counter-productive at this point. So instead, I bought a copy of Eagle Flight for my PSVR. Right now my plan is to focus on smaller games like Eagle Flight in between the longer games, I need things squared away by the time Skyrim VR hits.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:18 am

If I traded it in for credit I'd get a Switch for Mario Kart and Zelda.

If it was my PS4 though I'd just sell it online and piss the money up the wall on a messy weekend. Considering how fast the end of the school year's approaching I'd suggest you do the same.

Or you could use the money on something more practical like a flight to see your family or summat.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Axm
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 pm

I tried the HTC Vive at a friend's place last Fall and it was mind blowing for me. However, I get the feeling that if I bought one it would only be a couple weeks and it would be collecting dust. Too much work to play.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr. Frozen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:14 am

mrandyk wrote: I tried the HTC Vive at a friend's place last Fall and it was mind blowing for me. However, I get the feeling that if I bought one it would only be a couple weeks and it would be collecting dust. Too much work to play.

Yea, I think this will happen for most people who didn't get a PC VR headset for software development. Gaming is more of an activity for relaxing. The last thing you would want to do while gaming is having to clear out an area and then flail about for however long your gaming session is. Standing VR games are great because you don't need to get out of your chair to play. When browsing for new games to play I instantly ignore anything that requires a large open area to play because I can't be bothered to move shit out of the way just to play a video game. You do not need to set up the system more than once if you don't move your play area, but I did move my VR system around to various rooms to get a bigger space to play it and it really takes no longer than 5 minutes to set up once you know what you are doing. Sometimes the headset wills crew up and you will need to unplug all of the headset's cables to get it to register. I would assume the PSVR will be even easier to use since it is designed for a console. The move controllers are shit compared to the controllers of the Vive, though.

Anyway, unless you are a software developer that wants to screw around with VR, I wouldn't say VR is worth it right now. There are some amazing games out there, but they are so few that you will probably feel like your money is wasted after the honeymoon period. Wait until VR headsets improve, and developers figure out how to make good VR games before buying a headset. My favorite games are Star Trek Bridge crew and Super Hot, but Super Hot doesn't require a headset and Bridge Crew is lacking in some respects (why isn't there any PvP yet?!). I'm interested in how Fallout 4 VR will look and control. They are making it a Vive exclusive because it appears that you will use the touch pad for movement. I experimented with this very same control scheme for a bit in unreal engine 4 with VR movement, and using anything else but your body and teleportation to move around gave me a bit of motion sickness, but I guess that is something one can get used to. I only tried that movement for about 1 minute before nope-ing the fuck out. Maybe I just had the movement speed set too high.

Axm wrote: Ok so just sold my old PS4 like I said I would.
Then it just hit me.

What do you want for the Switch? Nintendo's consoles always a few a few amazing games, but there really isn't much variety since only first parties are the ones that tend to develop great games for their consoles, especially as of late. You can probably hold off on a switch for like 3 years and the must-have games will stay the same. I think getting a Switch over PSVR is a good choice, but selling your PS4 for a Switch? Ehh....
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 am

I think PS VR will be attractive for me when Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 get released. The sneak preview videos on youtube were pretty promising. On Switch the only game that i find interesting is Zelda - and honestly the way CEMU develops it looks like i can soon enjoy it on my PC using that emulator (At the moment the performance is still not that great on my PC).
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming