Extra Story content?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Extra Story content?

Postby 7heavens » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 am

Now that the development of shenmue 3 has been delayed into the 2nd half of 2018, do you guys think that you Suzuki will add more story content than originally planned when starting the project?

Or do you think the story content is the same and he will use the extra time time to just flesh out the game play/graphics/side content etc?

I am personally optimistic of the fact that he will use the time equally on all areas including updating the story, hopefully adding a bit more content.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Extra Story content?

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 am

I'm not so sure the time will be used to extend the story, but rather to improve (technically, creatively, etc) what they've already got.

If you go and take a look at the production workflow chart from late 2015, the story composition was something decided on quite early in the process, probably in order to set limits and make sure the scope of the project doesn't sprawl wildly over budget.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 am

It's to add the much requested zombie mode.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Jibby, KidMarine, The_Fuzileiro
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:02 am

Making those bogus "get a gun in Shenmue IIx" claims come full circle.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 am

Judging by Suzuki's words in the update that he announced the delay of Shenmue 3, it seems that they are enhancing visuals/sound and gameplay.

I think we can hope better graphics and desing, bigger places, maybe some new gameplay mechanics and maybe some more stretch goals that weren't reached at first.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby OL » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:52 pm

I don't know that it really matters, honestly. Whatever we end up getting is what we end up getting. The concept of "extra" doesn't exist yet for us. Since we haven't played the game, nor do we know the beats of the story, we won't know the difference either way.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby 7heavens » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 pm

Yu Suzuki said something along the lines of him discovering greater means of expression hence why he wants extra time to work on the game. The story of a game is usually tweeked right up until the alpha stage. Although I'm hopeful of slightly extra content, exactly how much is impossible to say.

However, I expect shenmue 3 to be a highly emotional game. And strongly think this extra time will be used to express particular feelings and emotions, especially for ryo himself and his relationship with shenhua (I have a gut feeling saying that it will be this emotional aspect that will make this game unique and unlike any other).

Yu Suzuki did once say something along the lines of the first 2 games being more external where the game focused alot on the outer world, and in the third game he planned to make it more internal.

Nonetheless can't wait to see how it plays out.
7heavens

Postby Telekill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:50 am

You can expect "the full on Shenmue experience".
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Suzuki Yu » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:37 am

I want them to focus all their effort towards the game scope and content and improving all of the gameplay aspects.
This is how they could make a good use of any more development time available to them.

Why some people are insisting to rush the story and conclusion?
I would rather have an unfinished story than a soulless conclusion.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:32 am

Suzuki Yu wrote:
Why some people are insisting to rush the story and conclusion?
I would rather have an unfinished story than a soulless conclusion.

No. Absolutely no.

1. Knowing how Suzuki does things, it wouldn't be a soulless conclusion.
2. We need a damn ending
3. It had better not be another 15 damn years for the next entry in the series

End the game with the fourth title. We've been waiting long enough to see if Ryo gets slaughtered or ends up successful in avenging his father's death. Hell, if this were based on real time, by now Ryo would be middle aged and his father's corpse would be all skeletal. Not much reason to continue avenging a skeleton.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 am

Personally, I agree with Suzuki Yu's post.
I never understood those people who used to say that they'd even take a manga, or something of the sort, to finish up Shenmue's story. Shenmue has always been way more than its story. It was a revolutionary videogame and an absolute masterpiece (and Shenmue 2 managed to improve on it, in pretty much every aspect, somehow). That's what made Shenmue special, not its story. If we are completely frank, when it comes to story alone, Shenmue isn't really all that special (so far). I mean, it's good, but nothing special.

So, no, I don't want to see Shenmue's story being finished through some other medium other than a videogame and I expect each one of its installments to be damn good videogames. I mean, I'm not expecting something revolutionary, as Shenmue 1 was back then, but I expect a great Shenmue experience. And I also do not want Yu Suzuki to just condense two installments' plot into a single installment, just to finish it. If it's supposed to take another two or three Shenmue games, then so be it. I want it done properly, as originally planned. If we can't have that, then I'd rather have nothing at all instead of a mediocre conclusion, which would be an insult to Shenmue's greatness.

As for Shenmue 3's delay being used for extra story stuff, I doubt it. As Spaghetti said, story scope seems to be something that has been defined long ago. And, as OL rightly said, it's kinda pointless to think about what kind of extra stuff they be putting in. The game is not finished, whatever ends up being made, ends up being made and we'll never know.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am

As far as I remember, YS pointed out quite a long time ago that Shenmue's story had been reworked after the Kickstarter and was finished and finalized before they went into full production with S3, so I don't think there will still be any furhter additions to the story. "Story composition" is actually the very first point in the developing process as shown on the schedule YS Net have released. They are now in the "production" stage of the work flow chart which you can see here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324682&page=1

The extra funding will probably go into expanding and deepening the game's world and its mechanics as well as additional debugging.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:59 pm

As others have stated, the game’s been scripted for a while now; most likely, the delay will be used for overall optimization and, fingers crossed, a bit more world building (side quests et al.).

If memory serves, Yu & co were impressed with Unreal 4, to the point of considering implementing some of the backer goals that weren’t reached. An extra 6-12 months would give them plenty of time to polish the game even further whilst hopefully implementing some of this extra content.

Whatever the case, that delay comes as wonderful news.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:20 am

I wouldn't want story dlc for Shenmue III or any other installment for that matter. If after 3 this motivates Yu and he has ideas that he wants to spin off into a separate game with like Ren as the main guy or etc then I'm all for it.

But otherwise no. Complete the story and make the dlc if you absoulety have to something trivial like new hairstyles for characters for 99 cents or something. Side note I wonder if Yu has ideas to develop any More games when the saga is over?
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 am

Jesse wrote:Side note I wonder if Yu has ideas to develop any More games when the saga is over?

If you mean non-Shenmue games, when a Russian magazine interviewed him in 2013 he had a laptop full of ideaa.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Jesse
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III