Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Esppiral wrote: That is literally the Ryo model from sonic all star racing transformed

I think it's modified though. It doesn't look exactly the same. The shoes might just look more contrasted because of different lighting but the shirt has more wrinkles and the jeans definately looks different. Just look at the zipper.

BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

I will be 100% honest right now: There is nothing wrong to like the new shenmue 3 ryo modell. BUT not seeing all the fecial features differences: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50989#p1156854
...which don't fit the original ryo: Skin color, nose, eyes, hair line (minor) - I just don't get it. Perhaps it needs more time to see these things. Don't take my post as offensive.... :oops:

One look at his eyes you should see straight up the siginifcant difference to any original ryo: ingame, promo, passport etc.

Last edited by Shenmue_Trilogy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shenmue_Trilogy
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm

ChiefNeo wrote:It wasn't a "Rick Roll" post so stop pretending. Also, for a mod, you tend to stray a bit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C'mon, it's all in good fun. I'm taking a more flippant approach for my own enjoyment. Gimme that at least.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Now I know this is kinda off-topic and I know I've made a thread asking this same question (I created a thread in the original Shenmue section so unfortunately there are a lot less people browsing that area compared to the Shenmue III one) but I'll ask anyway. Is any kind enough fan able to tell me what the EXACT (meaning the wash, correct shade of blue or whatever other color it may be)color of Ryo's jeans is? Thanks, help is very much appreciated!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Keeping characters original (asian) look with some small tweeks (nose) AND also using new 3D technologys. Looks like some other developers are able to do it... :-k

Shenmue_Trilogy has received a thanks from: PseudoDev
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby punkmanced » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

^ Slight digression, but what game is that?!
Looks dope!
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby John Doom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

:) Yakuza 1 and its ps4 remaster.
P.S: I'm playing it right now. An interesting coincidence for sure! :D

John Doom has received a thanks from: punkmanced
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I didn't remember kazuma looking like that, quite a difference indeed.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby PseudoDev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 am

ImageImage

Sometimes, I wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Also, my fitty cents:
- The promo image looks like something a college student would do.
- Subsurface scattering skin shaders can be great, but S3's artist(s) seemed to have just found them and added that shit to everything. Plasticmens.
- Shenhua looks into your soul and finds emptiness, because she's dead and can't find things.
- Ryo was dipped in olive oil and came out a Filipino. Though, it does sort of "grow" on me as he looks off into the distance.
- Animations are great, but could probably look less floaty with more manual tweaking of the mocap data.
- I honestly thought the promo image was a shitpost or fanart...but at least the environments look pretty good despite the constant need to blow out all the colours with coloured lighting and mannequin Shenhua.
- I don't mind the old martial artist/fisherman guy in the teaser. If that's the look they're going for, hopefully Ryo and Shenhua get more treatments. The muscle man is pretty good, except the same SSS shader nonsense that makes him look like a doll.
- Highlights on eyes please.
- The logo is bad and whoever made it or accepted it should feel bad. Photoshop beveling? Da fuck?
- I wonder if this cartoon style is to make it easier to create NPCs. Shenhua, for example, looks like an NPC that you only want to talk to a couple of times before never seeing her again because she's too fucking creepy to want to hold a conversation with.
- Ryo doesn't look like in-game DC Ryo. DC Ryo is definitive Ryo for me and not the countless other renditions of him, which I'll never understand why Suzuki has kept on accepting. There has to be a way to update that model and still make it fit the new cartoon style, if production limitations are what's driving this look, fine, I'll accept it. I just think it can look a lot better and I really hope it does.
- I regret giving money to DayZ when I should have given it to S3.

PseudoDev
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 pm

I find it interesting that the new ingame modell has a signifcant change to his eyes, which I have criticized over and over again. They look more asian now..finally! Maybe it was the light..doesn't matter because now everyone can see the big difference in his eyes.
The only significant change which they should do is the skin color and perhaps the head shape (to wide). On the right you see my quick fix for skin color.

..but for some it was the perfect ryo before..and now..its even more perfect. :roll:
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby PseudoDev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 pm

@Shenmue_Trilogy, I never played the Yakuza series, though I really want to. Anyway, arguably the characters changed from white guys to Japanese guys in that kind of update. It really was done well, even if it's probably an unfair comparison (funding, ability, time, etc.). Despite funding issues, I agree that it should not be so difficult to update original models. Maybe Suzuki just doesn't have access to them due to some licensing problem? Other than being a rather obvious design decision to go "cartoony" or really "clean" (plastic dolls), I'm kind of amazed that the original models are not being used. Then again, maybe there's also an element of them knowing that it took a lot of time to do the originals' texturing and it's something they're concerned with or incapable of? Arguably, the originals' face textures are actually pretty amazing in their own stylistic way. Incredible what they could do with such small textures.

I agree that the eyes are much better now. I've honestly accepted the new Ryo. It's good enough, but it's yet another deviation from DC Ryo. I've accepted it, but wouldn't be against lots of tweaks, similar to my photoshop. Narrower head, "sharper" hair that's more slicked back, and some more variations to the nose bridge and other areas for added "character".

I keep thinking of owls. Ocarina of Time. Kaepora Gaebora. He's a tiger, damn it.

RIP this guy...literally, metaphorically, informally, and otherwise:

PseudoDev
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 pm

PseudoDev wrote: @Shenmue_Trilogy, I never played the Yakuza series, though I really want to. Anyway, arguably the characters changed from white guys to Japanese guys in that kind of update. It really was done well, even if it's probably an unfair comparison (funding, ability, time, etc.). Despite funding issues, I agree that it should not be so difficult to update original models. Maybe Suzuki just doesn't have access to them due to some licensing problem? Other than being a rather obvious design decision to go "cartoony" or really "clean" (plastic dolls), I'm kind of amazed that the original models are not being used. Then again, maybe there's also an element of them knowing that it took a lot of time to do the originals' texturing and it's something they're concerned with or incapable of? Arguably, the originals' face textures are actually pretty amazing in their own stylistic way. Incredible what they could do with such small textures.

I agree that the eyes are much better now. I've honestly accepted the new Ryo. It's good enough, but it's yet another deviation from DC Ryo. I've accepted it, but wouldn't be against lots of tweaks, similar to my photoshop. Narrower head, "sharper" hair that's more slicked back, and some more variations to the nose bridge and other areas for added "character".

I keep thinking of owls. Ocarina of Time. Kaepora Gaebora. He's a tiger, damn it.

RIP this guy...literally, metaphorically, informally, and otherwise:

Don't worry. In the end, we'll have a hd version of this http://i.imgur.com/PZDQBfw.jpg
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby PseudoDev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm

@Shenmue_Legend, The thing is, I don't like that high res promo model. He's way too "cool" and kind of looks generic because of it. Like, he might as well be a Final Fantasy character, which is probably okay for some people, but not really for me. The DC model makes him look boyish, young, well-meaning, prone to mistakes, stubborn, but also hopeful and striving for a purpose (sure, it's vengeance, but it's clear the whole series is about him calming the fuck down and becoming Bruce Lee, physically and philosophically). That high res model looks like he knows he's a bad ass, but is angry about it, lol. But, I get it, a lot of people like that and other models like it. I just personally think it lacks the underlying character and depth that makes Shenmue special. Not Kamehamehas (Shenmue Online, which clearly gave a glimpse into the future of the series). Not being overly serious and dramatic about everything. More about quieter moments that remind everyone what is righteous and good, punctuated by moments of high action and excitement where characters are trying to maintain that goodness while making mistakes and learning from them. This is why I love Shenmue II much more than the first game, because we see a more obvious expression of how immature Ryo is and how he learns to be more patient and less "destructive". Oh man, I can go on and on, but I have to be short.

To me, there's something extremely obnoxious about "too cool for school" characters rendered in that way. I can't see that high res model making mistakes, falling in love, calming down and learning new ways of socializing and defending himself and others. Instead, I see an overly proud hockey player. A dumb jock. Frankly, a 30 year old in his athletic prime ready to perform some mindless task of beating some other dummy in a ring for TV. Proud cock. Puffed chest and fake confidence.

What's clear is everyone has their own take, but if Suzuki maintained control of his work and was consistent with the main characters, there would be no need to discuss anything about how characters look.

Edit: Ryo is a wounded tiger.
PseudoDev
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:16 pm

@PseudoDev

I do agree and thats why Ryo Dreamcast Ingame would be my pick number 1.
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby iyapol » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm

PseudoDev wrote: ImageImage

Sometimes, I wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Also, my fitty cents:
- The promo image looks like something a college student would do.
- Subsurface scattering skin shaders can be great, but S3's artist(s) seemed to have just found them and added that shit to everything. Plasticmens.
- Shenhua looks into your soul and finds emptiness, because she's dead and can't find things.
- Ryo was dipped in olive oil and came out a Filipino. Though, it does sort of "grow" on me as he looks off into the distance.
- Animations are great, but could probably look less floaty with more manual tweaking of the mocap data.
- I honestly thought the promo image was a shitpost or fanart...but at least the environments look pretty good despite the constant need to blow out all the colours with coloured lighting and mannequin Shenhua.
- I don't mind the old martial artist/fisherman guy in the teaser. If that's the look they're going for, hopefully Ryo and Shenhua get more treatments. The muscle man is pretty good, except the same SSS shader nonsense that makes him look like a doll.
- Highlights on eyes please.
- The logo is bad and whoever made it or accepted it should feel bad. Photoshop beveling? Da fuck?
- I wonder if this cartoon style is to make it easier to create NPCs. Shenhua, for example, looks like an NPC that you only want to talk to a couple of times before never seeing her again because she's too fucking creepy to want to hold a conversation with.
- Ryo doesn't look like in-game DC Ryo. DC Ryo is definitive Ryo for me and not the countless other renditions of him, which I'll never understand why Suzuki has kept on accepting. There has to be a way to update that model and still make it fit the new cartoon style, if production limitations are what's driving this look, fine, I'll accept it. I just think it can look a lot better and I really hope it does.
- I regret giving money to DayZ when I should have given it to S3.

One of.my favourite posts for ages! Well done, sir!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III