Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #73: New Progress Video!

Postby Telekill » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

I still don't like the new logo regardless that Suzuki made it.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Technophilz
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm

The trailer offered a glimpse of how the logo may look like on the start menu:

Still feels out of place but I could possibly get used with.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby code l name » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:49 pm

You are a great poster Spaghetti but you've knee jerk defense of every aspect of Shenmue 3 and its related development continues to stifle real or constructive criticism. And trust me there's been a lot to criticize.

You and others may think a logo isn't a large thing in the overarching development of the title but I think it speaks to the messy and frankly disjointed nature of the way many things have been rolled out during the KS campaign. The majority of the fans clearly spoke out and stated their clear preference a long time ago. It appeared the team and Yu-San finally came to their senses and provided us the June KS update.

The fact they've gone back on this and provided frankly a logo that many derided before knowing Yu-San was behind it, I think speaks volumes. Cursive is going to win out? It doesn't explain the insentient back and forth when this should have been finalized as it appeared to be in June and Yu's attention is concentrated on frankly more important matters.

Also piece of advice, don't tell backers who have spent their hard earned dollars and have been life-long fans of the series how to react or behave.

code l name has received 4 thanks from: fittersau, Mystere, SickOctopus, Technophilz
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

Still feels out of place but I could possibly get used with.

It looks amateur because it is amateur.

I really don't know why I give a fuck about a font, I also don't know why YS gives that much of a fuck about the old logo (apart from that "people can't read manuscript anymore).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:04 am

shredingskin wrote:
It looks amateur because it is amateur.

Maybe Asian people have also different relationship with letters. Use Chinese fonts in Word and you will see the alphabetic letters are a bit weird.

But I agree, I don't get the aesthetic sense of his work. The S is ok but the overall drawing looks random.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 am

code l name wrote: You are a great poster Spaghetti but you've knee jerk defense of every aspect of Shenmue 3 and its related development continues to stifle real or constructive criticism. And trust me there's been a lot to criticize.

You and others may think a logo isn't a large thing in the overarching development of the title but I think it speaks to the messy and frankly disjointed nature of the way many things have been rolled out during the KS campaign. The majority of the fans clearly spoke out and stated their clear preference a long time ago. It appeared the team and Yu-San finally came to their senses and provided us the June KS update.

The fact they've gone back on this and provided frankly a logo that many derided before knowing Yu-San was behind it, I think speaks volumes. Cursive is going to win out? It doesn't explain the insentient back and forth when this should have been finalized as it appeared to be in June and Yu's attention is concentrated on frankly more important matters.

Also piece of advice, don't tell backers who have spent their hard earned dollars and have been life-long fans of the series how to react or behave.

You're free to do, or feel as you want.

All I'm suggesting is that we at least consider what Yu has said about the logo change. I don't like the new logo, I don't like papyrus, I don't like the flip flopping, so I'm not gonna root for this to become the new logo just 'cuz. But it's worthwhile to just take into consideration what he's said and not just immediately focus on the flip flopping.

"I really wanted to bring home the Shenmue logo because this belongs to all of you, and I know how passionate everyone feels about it. As the result, I felt the design should come more from the heart. So, with more than a bit of trepidation, I took brush to hand. I believe we have reached a design that will please, but let me know what you think!"

It's not an issue in a vacuum. We didn't just get a bad new logo with no justification given and no path back to the superior one from June.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:56 am

Aww, so the new logo was hand-written by Yu Suzuki himself... Now I feel bad for not liking it and saying that it looks like it was written by a right-handed person's left hand. But it does, I won't lie.

Anyway, ever since the beginning that I've been seeing lots of people acting as if the logo is such a major issue. Really, an ugly logo is pretty much my very last concern about a video game.

O Rei do Frango Assado has received a thanks from: iyapol
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby punkmanced » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 am

The new logo indeed looks quite crap…BUT…if it does become the final version, I won’t feel too bad since it would literally be crafted by YS himself.

It does bring a rather sweet dimension to the whole thing.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby iyapol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: Aww, so the new logo was hand-written by Yu Suzuki himself... Now I feel bad for not liking it and saying that it looks like it was written by a right-handed person's left hand. But it does, I won't lie.

Anyway, ever since the beginning that I've been seeing lots of people acting as if the logo is such a major issue. Really, an ugly logo is pretty much my very last concern about a video game.

It was designed by You Suzuki's left hand. :king:

iyapol has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am

punkmanced wrote: The new logo indeed looks quite crap…BUT…if it does become the final version, I won’t feel too bad since it would literally be crafted by YS himself.

It does bring a rather sweet dimension to the whole thing.

I don't think it excuses how it comes across to western eyes. It's just amateur because it is. Suzuki is trying to apply Japanese calligraphy practice to roman letters on his magnum opus. It doesn't translate well. The previous script even though a previous formal font conveyed the cursive elegance with roman characters well.

Ironically, he has retained the original Japanese logo. Which means two things, one he's happy with the original Japanese katakana logo and two, he's trying overly hard to please / show-off to his western fans some of his skills. It's cool, it's geeky and sweet, but we really love his original Shenmue logo.

Which is also the same reason why we have an aversion to the new Shenhua and Ryo, because of so many years that's what we imaged in our heads as to who these characters are and it didn't change for 15 years.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Don't forget to post what you think in the kickstarter comment section:

VS

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 am

I'm torn.

I do prefer the good old Shenmue logo, but the fact that Yu himself took the brush to create a new logo makes me want to go with it because it's only thanks to his determination and in some extend to his stubbornness (if I can say so) that we are talking about the Shenmue 3 logo today.

My only real concern is the "brand identification" confusion this could create in the gamers mind.
Shenmue 1 & 2 HD (when/if they come) will probably keep their original logo unless they come to an agreement with SEGA.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am

It's got to be the original Shenmue logo. Sorry, Yu-San but there cannot be anything less than the original logo. This is a matter you cannot possibly sugarcoat. Let's not even try to find reasons for the new logo. There's no room for discussion here. Let's not even go there.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 am

they really jumped the gun releasing that teaser trailer; it’s getting ripped to shreds on almost every corner of the internet. The thing is, any decent PR firm (or fan) could have told them that trailer wasn’t fit for public consumption. It should have been clearly labelled as “work in progress”, plastered right across the whole video; and released directly to backers, not on PlayStation’s official YouTube channel as a “teaser”.

(not saying the public aren't allowed to watch it, I just mean their expectations would be lower if it was labelled "work in progress" and they had to find it through the kickstarter page)

You're setting expectations calling it a teaser while releasing it on other public channels. The expectations with a teaser is that you’ll show a slice of polished, representative visuals and game-play. But they clearly haven’t got around to animating faces or polishing up the mo-cap and camera work. They should have just done environmental flybys as the environments look fantastic.

Gonna be honest; outside of fans who understand where the game is right now; this trailer has done more harm than good and is simply fueling all the circle jerk internet toxicity that’s unfairly buried so many games in the past. I don’t think Yu understands the gaming community and the internet isn’t the same as it was back in 1999/2000; these days its full of man-children who thrive on making mountains out of mole hills and relish tearing things down; if you release uncooked content like this and don’t carefully present it as “in progress, not final” well, you are asking for trouble.

and quite how Yu Suzuki takes all the unanimous outcry from fans to bring back the old logo and then internalizes it as "I should make the logo!" is anybody's guess at this point. This one boggles the mind the most; especially when they seemed to finally understand only just a month ago.

The flip flopping and general directionless feeling I get from their PR is a little concerting and I certainly hope that doesn’t extend to the development team.

As a side note, I’m not sure what they are doing to Shenhua but stop it!.. that isn't Shenhua.. they've retcon her outfit for some reason too.. That said; I do think the Ryo model is perfectly fine but the face just needs animating.

I'm still confident they'll polish it up and release a fantastic game, I just don't think Yu has his finger on the pulse of what the online community is like these days and their PR has been lacking.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: they really jumped the gun releasing that teaser trailer; it’s getting ripped to shreds on almost every corner of the internet. The thing is, any decent PR firm (or fan) could have told them that trailer wasn’t fit for public consumption. It should have been clearly labelled as “work in progress”, plastered right across the whole video; and released directly to backers, not on PlayStation’s official YouTube channel as a “teaser”.

I'm still confident they'll polish it up and release a fantastic game, I just don't think Yu has his finger on the pulse of what the online community is like these days and their PR has been lacking.

In all honesty, who cares what other people think. Shenmue III has always been for the fans and by all accounts the fans love it. The more I watch it the more I'm excited to play the game. I can see the areas which need work and there's a lot, but the potential is there as has been the hard work in getting to the current state and it shows.

They really needed to release a new trailer as it's been a very long time since we've had any video of in-game action.

I'd say they are still holding back heaps and a game like Shenmue has to since it's so story driven.

fittersau has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III