Best character model of Ryo (poll).

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Best Ryo Hazuki... (Total votes: 22)

Image
2
9%
Image
0
No votes
Image
1
5%
Image
4
18%
Image
1
5%
Image
9
41%
Image
5
23%

Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 am

As we all know, there have been a number of different designs that we have seen of Ryo over the years. CGI, promo, in game etc. Now, this is just a fun thread to see what the majority of people on this site think is the best, i.e. the definitive Ryo Hazuki. Feel free to add a different model from the ones I've got in this thread if you think it's better. Now with all that said, let's get started!
Last edited by Shenmue_Legend on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby OL » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 am

Uh... 1, 2, and 4 are all basically derived from the same model, and have been retouched since they're all parts of promotional art.

Shouldn't the options be more like, I dunno... Dreamcast model, Passport model, Saturn model, Shenmue Online render, SIII prototype model, and SIII final model? Something like that?
Just a thought.
Image

OL has received 5 thanks from: BlueCreeperBoy12, Elevensixty, MiTT3NZ, Telekill, Truck_1_0_1_
User avatar
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

OL wrote:
Shouldn't the options be more like, I dunno... Dreamcast model, Passport model, Saturn model, Shenmue Online render, SIII prototype model, and SIII final model?

I agree.
Oh, a sailor's life is the life for me
How I love to sail o'er the bounding sea
And I never, never, ever do a thing about the weather
For the weather never ever does a thing for me!
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
Location: England
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Metroid Prime 2

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 am

OL wrote: Uh... 1, 2, and 4 are all basically derived from the same model, and have been retouched since they're all parts of promotional art.

Shouldn't the options be more like, I dunno... Dreamcast model, Passport model, Saturn model, Shenmue Online render, SIII prototype model, and SIII final model? Something like that?
Just a thought.


You just said it yourself though. They may be derived from the same model, but they're not actually the same. There are differences, even if they're only slight. Also, I don't like the Passport model. Ryo looks very weird in that one so I'm not gonna include that. Definitely no to the Saturn and still early Shenmue III models. I believe the Shenmue Online model is inferior to the other three I posted, but I included it anyway because it is still one of the best ones. Dreamcast Ryo is good, but again inferior to the promo models that I posted. Anyway, I posted these because they are the top 4 best to me. If you feel like there are better ones or you prefer others then obviously please mention or include them. Thank you for understanding!
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Kuroioni » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 am

My favorite model for Ryo is the Shenmue I Dreamcast model and my second favorite would be the Shenmue II Dreamcast model.

Ryo actually has a neck and is less buff in Shenmue I and they reused that type of build in Shenmue III's current stage. I like that type of build more for Ryo as it looks cooler and he looks more like a young 18 year old. I hate how the Xbox version of Shenmue II and the CG artworks gave Ryo light brown eyes. The dark brown eyes are way cooler and look more Japanese as he is Japanese.

Kuroioni has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
User avatar
Kuroioni
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative
 
Joined: January 2016
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Jibby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:They may be derived from the same model, but they're not actually the same.

The Ryo in 1 and 4 are almost identical renders...

Shenmue_Legend wrote:Also, I don't like the Passport model. Ryo looks very weird in that one so I'm not gonna include that. Definitely no to the Saturn and still early Shenmue III models.

I don't see why this needs to be a poll if you're going to omit the options that you don't personally like. Surely it would be better just to ask people to post their favourite model and forgo the poll if you're not going to include all of the choices.
Jibby!
Player of Shenmue
Check out Jibmue on Youtube!

Jibby has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
User avatar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: February 2014
Location: Scotland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby sutoji » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:12 am

Look at the choices you have given, you do realise thats the same model in options 1, 2 and 4?


Better options you could of gave:

In game Shenmue 1 Ryo
Image

Passport Model showcase Ryo
Image

Shenmue Online Ryo
Image

Shenmue 2 Ryo (Same as Shenmue 1)
Image
User avatar
sutoji
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: June 2017
Location: UK

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am

sutoji wrote: Look at the choices you have given, you do realise thats the same model in options 1, 2 and 4?


Better options you could of gave:

In game Shenmue 1 Ryo
Image

Passport Model showcase Ryo
Image

Shenmue Online Ryo
Image

Shenmue 2 Ryo (Same as Shenmue 1)
Image


Are you sure they're the same model? If that's really true, then that's the perfect Ryo. Added your Shenmue I and Passport model now by the way.
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but which Ryo does everyone prefer out of 1, 2 and 3? Why 1, 2 and 3? Well because the total number of installments for the Shenmue series so far is 2 and will eventually be 3, so it is only fitting that I start with them! :lol:
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Dreamcast Ryo? Hmm, this model is liked by many on this site. However, I don't know whether it's nostalgia or if it's a genuine liking in terms of the quality of the character model. :-k
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:12 am

Ok well Dreamcast Ryo is in a clear lead so I guess that's the best one. Also, is it me or does anyone else think that the 3rd model is basically a HD version of the Dreamcast model? I also think that since we're getting a new Shenmue game, they should use a different Ryo. This is going to be the only chance we get to see a different but still Ryo-looking Ryo, if you know what I mean! So I say instead of reusing the original, they go for a CGI promo model. I bet many fans have wished for him to look like that one day and it would be nice to finally see it. And imagine them in game with facial expressions and all that, I bet it would be incredible. Point being, I think they should use a new Ryo that we haven't seen in game yet rather than one that has already been seen. But that's just my opinion so I don't know.
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Mystere » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Everyone keeps saying 1, 2 and 4 are the same model, but isn't 4 the Shenmue Online model? I get that it's derived from the promotional art model but anyway, for all Shenmue Online's shortcomings as a concept, Ryo looked awesome in that trailer.

IMO it's by far and away the best model to date because it put the "promotional Ryo" in motion. Promotional model is always how I envisioned Ryo would look if not for the hardware limitations of the Dreamcast.
Image
User avatar
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: December 2003
Location: UK

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 am

Mystere wrote: Everyone keeps saying 1, 2 and 4 are the same model, but isn't 4 the Shenmue Online model? I get that it's derived from the promotional art model but anyway, for all Shenmue Online's shortcomings as a concept, Ryo looked awesome in that trailer.

IMO it's by far and away the best model to date because it put the "promotional Ryo" in motion. Promotional model is always how I envisioned Ryo would look if not for the hardware limitations of the Dreamcast.


Oops, sorry for the confusion! It is now 1, 3 and 5 because I added the 2nd model recently so the order has been switched up due to that. I agree. Many here want the Shenmue I and II models of Ryo but I believe they can aim above and beyond even them (don't get me wrong, the Dreamcast models are still amazing so it's not like I dislike them or anything, it's the exact opposite in fact) by using the promo models. I mean, they were always of an even higher quality than the originals so I think one of them should be the aim. I personally think it's either the 3rd or 2nd one but I like the SO Ryo too so you can't really go wrong with either of them.

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: Mystere
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Sorry, just had to bump this up. After careful and obsessive observations of every single Ryo model, I have come to the conclusion that the Shenmue Online Ryo is the best and absolutely definitive version. That is all!
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Postby sutoji » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: Sorry, just had to bump this up. After careful and obsessive observations of every single Ryo model, I have come to the conclusion that the Shenmue Online Ryo is the best and absolutely definitive version. That is all!

This is the best model

Image

I actually think Shenmue 3 will have the best Ryo model
User avatar
sutoji
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: June 2017
Location: UK

Next

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net