SEGA Spartan / Dreamcast 2 rumors

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

SEGA Spartan / Dreamcast 2 rumors

Postby Elevensixty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 am

There are several rumor articles/photos/vids floating around recently about this non-existent SEGA console project. Could it be a.."legitimately fake" rumor started to gauge/create interest/buzz?
I would like to see SEGA um, get into old sega mode, but is the market there for them to make a real console? Meh
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Polybius

Re: SEGA Spartan / Dreamcast 2 rumors

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:37 am

Sounds like bollocks to me.

BlueCreeperBoy12 has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, myshtuff
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Telekill » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm guessing fake. If Sega were actually creating a new console then you can bet they would be saving games like Shenmue 3 and Sonic among other IP's to launch with their new system. PC definitely wouldn't be getting all the ports they have gotten.

Do you have links to these "rumors" so that we can debunk them?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 am

https://spartanconsole.com/

Well, of course Sega are not gonna make a full-fledged new console to take on Playstation and Xbox but from what I've read this is an independent development team trying to make a console which emulates games for all Sega consoles from Master System to Dreamcast.

Basically this would be a "Sega Forever" console, from what I've heard. Only difference is you play on your TV instead of on your phone. Kind of like the NES Classic. If that machine really works and Sega buy it and they put up an online service like Sega Forever or the Playstation store and sell the roms at let's say a dollar each, how awesome would that be?

If I could play Shenmue, Ikaruga, Nights into Dreams, Shining Force 3, Phantasy Star 4, The Revenge of Shinobi in HD quality on my TV on just that one machine without having to worry about HDMI converters and upscalers and hooking up different consoles to the TV each time? Count me in!

I mean, we all saw how well the NES/SNES classic machines sold. Sure, I hope Sega won't be dumb enough to make a real new console but I could totally see this work as a retro machine. It's a shame they put Sega Forever on phones only anyway.

Still, these are all just rumours at the moment, so let's wait and see.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:38 pm

Regrettably I think I know some of the people involved in this, and if so, Sega would be wise not to touch it with a barge pole.

I do agree that Sega should get aboard the (S)NES Mini bandwagon in earnest. But then that would mean admitting that all of their previous plug-and-play releases weren't up to the job...
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Considering the sheer volume of SEGA re-releases on digital marketplaces I don't really see the need in owt like this tbh.

And let's face it, you'd find it difficult to come across a computer that isn't powerful enough to run an emulator.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Return to General Gaming