What we hope to happen in Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What we hope to happen in Shenmue III

Postby BalHan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

My very first post on here so if this has already been discussed I apologise.
I played Shenmue when I was 14 in 2000 and Shenmue II a year later; my favourite games of all time.
I was wondering what you guys hope will happen in Shenmue III.
Here are my hopes and hopefully you guys will give some insight regarding what I have to say.
1. I hope the Dragon Mirror which Lan Di stole is fake. Ryo’s father knew Lan Di was coming so maybe he had someone make him a fake mirror. This would explain why the hiding place for the Dragon Mirror wasn’t so secretive and the hiding place for the Phoenix Mirror was.
2. Ryo’s father entrusted the real Dragon Mirror with someone who Ryo has to find.
3. There are more than two mirrors. Ryo needed four keys to unlock the door to get to Yuanda Zhu. Two of them were White Tiger and Black Tortoise. I understand this has something to do with the Divine Beasts?
4. The saga doesn’t end in Shenmue III.
5. Ryo’s quest to avenge his father’s death takes him to the United States. The men in black suits with Lan Di were clearly Caucasian. Lan Di may have connections in the USA and I hope Lan Di ends up going there and Ryo does too. Maybe Ryo meets Tom there.
6. The saga ends, at the soonest, in the fifth game.

I’d like to know what you have to say about my ideas. Maybe you know for certain that some of them will definitely not happen. I’d also like to know what your ideas are. There’s probably already a topic on this in the forum somewhere.
Last edited by BalHan on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BalHan
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: What we hope to happen in Shenmue III

Postby Suzuki Yu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 am

BalHan wrote:
3. The saga doesn’t end in Shenmue III.
5. The saga ends, at the soonest, in the fifth game.

it's official it won't end with the 3rd installment.
at least it will go up to 5 games and beyond.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:19 am

BalHan wrote: My very first post on here so if this has already been discussed I apologise.
I played Shenmue when I was 14 in 2000 and Shenmue II a year later; my favourite games of all time.
I was wondering what you guys hope will happen in Shenmue III.
Here are my hopes and hopefully you guys will give some insight regarding what I have to say.
1. I hope the Dragon Mirror which Lan Di stole is fake. Ryo’s father knew Lan Di was coming so maybe he had someone make him a fake mirror. This would explain why the hiding place for the Dragon Mirror wasn’t so secretive and the hiding place for the Phoenix Mirror was.
2. There are more than two mirrors. Ryo needed four keys to unlock the door to get to Yuanda Zhu. Two of them were White Tiger and Black Tortoise. I understand this has something to do with the Divine Beasts?
3. The saga doesn’t end in Shenmue III.
4. Ryo’s quest to avenge his father’s death takes him to the United States. The men in black suits with Lan Di were clearly Caucasian. Lan Di may have connections in the USA and I hope Lan Di ends up going there and Ryo does too. Maybe Ryo meets Tom there.
5. The saga ends, at the soonest, in the fifth game.

I’d like to know what you have to say about my ideas. Maybe you know for certain that some of them will definitely not happen. I’d also like to know what your ideas are. There’s probably already a topic on this in the forum somewhere.

Welcome! Very great post as I agree with all points. Especially 5 "The saga ends, at the soonest, in the fifth game" hell YES! Absolutely. V would be a nice number to end at but if Shenmue ends up having more than five installments then I would absolutely love it. Truth be told though, I never want it to end!

It would be very interesting if Ryo ends up in the USA at one point. That would be cool and quite intriguing. It just depends on whether it would fit in or not but we'll know when we get to that point!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 am

I also want them to really follow up on the mystical aspect of Shenmue in a way that would take it to another level. It would really heighten the adventure and experience if they utilised magic in Shenmue the right way in order to make it more awesome and badass!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am

I just wanna go back to "get a job in an 80s urban setting and try to solve the mystery behind your dad's murder".

All the martial arts and mysticism shit can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 am

I want there to be a segment where Shenhua has a glimpse of the future through her future ancestors and for that segment to be playable. Some weird future event affects the past type thing. I also want it to be extremely subtle and probably one of the very, very, few magical things that happen throughout the game. I like the grounded with a tiny bit of mysticism thing Shenmue has so I don't want it to be too constant or convoluted. I want it to be Shenmue III's floating sword.

I am sure I am in the lone minority in wanting something like that though.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Suzuki Yu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 pm

i would like to see much more villains and interesting characters than ever before.

now what i want in it's world:
i want it to have a proper food system i guess.
all the restaurants in previous games were partially meaningless.
it's not a big deal but it will add more to the authenticity of the overall experience.

i want the exploration to be more rewarding than ever.
i think Yu Suzuki is aiming to do that here based on some of his comments.

Suzuki Yu has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm

I also REALLY hope they don't have the 360 degrees modern camera system. It's terrible and totally unrealistic. I mean, how can you see the area behind you when you're facing in front? Do they have eyes on the back of their head or something?! The Resident Evil 4 and Shenmue style camera system is the best because you can only look to the left, right and what's in front of you instead of all directions which is ridiculous and stupid. It's obviously for lazy players that just want to be able to see anything without having to actually put in a little effort to actually face yourself in that direction.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Suzuki Yu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: I also REALLY hope they don't have the 360 degrees modern camera system. It's terrible and totally unrealistic. I mean, how can you see the area behind you when you're facing in front? Do they have eyes on the back of their head or something?! The Resident Evil 4 and Shenmue style camera system is the best because you can only look to the left, right and what's in front of you instead of all directions which is ridiculous and stupid. It's obviously for lazy players that just want to be able to see anything without having to actually put in a little effort to actually face yourself in that direction.

this is one of the things i am genuinely afraid of and i want to see Ryo walking around as soon as possible just to be sure everything is going to be alright.
Tank Control is not an outdated control system. it works perfectly for some of the games and in case of Shenmue it plays a great part in the immersion.(at least in Adv Mode)

i still believe Yu San will not abandon the system because it will definitely hurt the experience in a way IMO.
i know he always sticks to his own vision but i am still afraid that he might be influenced by gaming trends to some extent.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: I also REALLY hope they don't have the 360 degrees modern camera system. It's terrible and totally unrealistic. I mean, how can you see the area behind you when you're facing in front? Do they have eyes on the back of their head or something?! The Resident Evil 4 and Shenmue style camera system is the best because you can only look to the left, right and what's in front of you instead of all directions which is ridiculous and stupid. It's obviously for lazy players that just want to be able to see anything without having to actually put in a little effort to actually face yourself in that direction.

this is one of the things i am genuinely afraid of and i want to see Ryo walking around as soon as possible just to be sure everything is going to be alright.
Tank Control is not an outdated control system. it works perfectly for some of the games and in case of Shenmue it plays a great part in the immersion.(at least in Adv Mode)

i still believe Yu San will not abandon the system because it will definitely hurt the experience in a way IMO.
i know he always sticks to his own vision but i am still afraid that he might be influenced by gaming trends to some extent.

Exactly right. I remember that image of Ryo where he's facing the camera (the same one in that model comparison thread). Hopefully that position wasn't taken in game because if it was, then unfortunately that means 360 degrees camera movement is going to be in Shenmue III. That would be lame and a serious downgrade from I and II.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Re: What we hope to happen in Shenmue II

Postby BalHan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Will the commencement of Shenmue III be centred on Ryo and Shenhua looking for Shenhua’s father? If so, I want this quest to find him to be epic! I want it to involve lots of eccentric characters, enemies, travelling to different lands, and martial arts.
I hope there’ll be lots of connections surrounding the characters from all three games. I hope we’ll come to know more about characters we’ve already come across in previous games.
As Suzuki Yu said, I’d also like the exploration to be more rewarding than ever.
BalHan

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 pm

No modern map system either. The player should navigate around and figure out where the location is or where they're supposed to go by themselves. If there is a map, it should be exactly like a real world map without any markers or way points.

Shenmue_Legend has received 2 thanks from: Abraham_1, VukBZ2005
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Telekill » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I know this opinion isn't very popular, but I would like to see the series conclusion with the fourth game. At the very least, have the Ryo vs Lan Di vengeance story arc complete. If they want to branch off into something else, fine, but I want the original main story to be done so that I can have closure after 20 years of waiting.

As a comparison, Resident Evil used to be a favorite series of mine. From the start there was a Chris vs Wesker story arc that was touched on in most the games. One of the reasons I enjoyed the 5th game so much is because it ended the Chris vs Wesker story arc. Obviously Resident Evil continued with 6, 7 and the Revelation spin offs that were all declining in quality. I can only hope if Shenmue takes a similar course with continuing passed the main story arc that they don't decline in quality like Resident Evil did.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Telekill wrote: I know this opinion isn't very popular, but I would like to see the series conclusion with the fourth game. At the very least, have the Ryo vs Lan Di vengeance story arc complete. If they want to branch off into something else, fine, but I want the original main story to be done so that I can have closure after 20 years of waiting.

As a comparison, Resident Evil used to be a favorite series of mine. From the start there was a Chris vs Wesker story arc that was touched on in most the games. One of the reasons I enjoyed the 5th game so much is because it ended the Chris vs Wesker story arc. Obviously Resident Evil continued with 6, 7 and the Revelation spin offs that were all declining in quality. I can only hope if Shenmue takes a similar course with continuing passed the main story arc that they don't decline in quality like Resident Evil did.

No. I want to see everything that is supposed to happen in Ryo's quest. Ending on a 4th Shenmue would be underwhelming and would mean that the whole experience has not been fully provided. A conclusion should come whenever it's supposed to happen, not rushed just to finish it for the sake of it. Also, as long as Yu Suzuki is in charge I bet each installment will be guaranteed to be remarkable and satisfactory. Yu Suzuki will only keep going so long as there is still value and relevance. Once the Shenmue series is truly finished, I'm sure he won't keep milking it with any irrelevant continuations.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Suzuki Yu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: No modern map system either. The player should navigate around and figure out where the location is or where they're supposed to go by themselves. If there is a map, it should be exactly like a real world map without any markers or way points.

Another good point.
Modern maps system should never implemented in a Shenmue game.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue III