Change petitions to Sega to translate it into spanish

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Change petitions to Sega to translate it into spanish

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 am

I've seen this petitions in change asking Sega to translate Shenmue HD into spanish. I thinks it's interesting since spanish is the third language spoken in the world. It'd be a shame to lose that big market.

https://www.change.org/search?q=shenmue

I've seen in many spanish forums complaints about this and people decided not to buy it because of this. We have to help the saga in order for its succeed!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Re: Change petitions to Sega to translate it into spanish

Postby Kyo_JP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 am

As a Spanish person I think that there is a lot of complain in general with spanish audience about titles not being translated, the worst thing is that a vast majority of this people will not buy this game (or any other they are complaining about not being translated). For example, on launching window of time of Yakuza 0 the game sold apox 1250 copies and was not translated into Spanish, while in the same week a game transtaled such as Tales of Berseria sold 1200. The point is that not translating is not thar hurting and if Sega and Koch Media are not transalating is because they have studied the spanish market. Would I like to play it in my language? Yes. Do I think is an intelligent investment to translate, locolize and test another language? No.

EDIT: Link to the sells article about Yakuza 0 http://www.mediavida.com/foro/juegos/ve ... ana-581436
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 am

Kyo_JP wrote: As a Spanish person I think that there is a lot of complain in general with spanish audience about titles not being translated, the worst thing is that a vast majority of this people will not buy this game (or any other they are complaining about not being translated). For example, on launching window of time of Yakuza 0 the game sold apox 1250 copies and was not translated into Spanish, while in the same week a game transtaled such as Tales of Berseria sold 1200. The point is that not translating is not thar hurting and if Sega and Koch Media are not transalating is because they have studied the spanish market. Would I like to play it in my language? Yes. Do I think is an intelligent investment to translate, locolize and test another language? No.

EDIT: Link to the sells article about Yakuza 0 http://www.mediavida.com/foro/juegos/ve ... ana-581436

I know there are a lot of "concerned trolls" in forums just to moan about the saga but I do know about some people that they would like to buy the game and don't know english, apart from latin american market in which there is a big fan base. At least Sega will have a little revenue because of this traduction.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Niowiad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 am

As far as I know, Spanish is spoken by around 10% of people worldwide, which is a more than considerable amount... but the percentage of revenue from the spanish-speaking market is much much lower. They presumibly made their calculations of expenses over revenue so if they put translation teams on more languages it might only be at their expenses.
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/to ... e-revenues

To be clear, the game is NOT being translated in my native language as well, although I planned to play it in Japanese audio (finally) with English subtitles anyway, and I personally wish it could be translated in all the languages, but hey...
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:56 am

I'll play it in Japanese audio with English subtitles too but, every bit of help counts. I want the better for the saga and Shenmue 3 to be successful in order to get Shen IV and V.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kyo_JP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 am

Also, looks like Koch Media will be distribuing it in Spain and has confirm via Twitter that the game will not be sub to Spanish

https://twitter.com/KochMedia_es/status ... 8339886080

And as you can see over there, toons of language trolls, even some telling openly to piracy the game on PC
Kyo_JP

Postby Tosh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 am

Koch Media / Deep Silver is one of the biggest european publishers / distributors.
They are selling movies, games, software and so on,
so they probably have a huge marketing / research whatever office
and they know what makes sense and what not.

If they have no plans for subtitles or menues in language XYZ, then they have probably a good reason for it.

Probably the same reason why Sega / Atlus / Deep Silver wont translate Yakuza
or Persona into other languages than english.
Because the sales numbers wouldnt be high enough in that region to justify the costs.

Its all about money. If it would make sense to include language XYZ, then they would include language XYZ.

Tosh has received a thanks from: Kyo_JP
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:15 am

What a Shame... But as you all say, it's all about money! I hope it will be a success in the rest of the markets.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:26 am

That is odd that Spanish subtitles were not included but I'm not signing a petition to add it. Petitions won't add the subtitles in Spanish. Petitions in general don't work.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby punkmanced » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

They're subbing it in German of all languages, but not Spanish- one of the most spoken languages in the world....that's just puzzling.

Roman(ce) language speakers tend to have weaker English skills compared to their Germanic counterparts. Meaning the average German/ Swedish/ Norse fan should have fewer problems (if any) playing the game in English/subs, whereas with the average native Spanish/ French/ Italian speaker....good luck.

Strange decision.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Tosh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 pm

If the steam page is right, the game will have german, english, french, korean and chinese subtitles and menues.
No spanish or italian or russian subtitles. Also no japanese subtitles or menues,
so the steam version is not intended for japanese people.

But as i said, this is not some random decision.
(japanese people are no pc players, all of the latest games in the japanese top lists
are on PS3/PS4 and Nintendo Switch/3DS/Wii U)

I guess the spanish market has just a small "Shenmue target group". At least in the eyes of Sega and Koch Media.
Kickstarter goals for Shenmue 3 were 1. german subtitles 2. french subtitles, then spanish and italian subtitles.

So it seems like german and french regions have a potential bigger market for this kind of game.

Tosh has received a thanks from: Kyo_JP
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release