New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am

SheepheadCG wrote:I see what you mean, but I honestly think that DS are on top of it now. This new footage that we have uncovered, was not given to us. It wasn't part of the backer update or anything like that and is a total of about 5 seconds of new stuff, that they probably thought that a very small amount of people would see. I also bet they didn't think that there would be articles about it... lol

I think we should all wait until Deep Silver come out and say "Here is some new footage of Shenmue 3". At that point, it will be something that they are ready to show, and I think that is when we will have our first "real" look at the game.

Exactly.

There's been too much importance placed on this footage by us. THQ Nordic and Ys Net probably didn't think much about swapping out a few shots just to add something more recent to a short video for stockholders or whatever.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Mo » Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm

On a technical level Shenhua looks miles better! I still don`t like the new model artistically.

She looked more grounded in nature before with her long skirt and pigtails. I liked it more. Hopefully she`ll at least at some point changes her outfit and maybe cut her hair because if she looks like this in the cave it kinda would hurt the continuity.
Master Mo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm

So much progress has already been made. One more year and this game will finally be ready.

WildManofBorneo has received 2 thanks from: Rikitatsu, Spaghetti
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Master Mo wrote: On a technical level Shenhua looks miles better! I still don`t like the new model artistically.

She looked more grounded in nature before with her long skirt and pigtails. I liked it more. Hopefully she`ll at least at some point changes her outfit and maybe cut her hair because if she looks like this in the cave it kinda would hurt the continuity.

The game might start off with Shenhua wearing her old clothes, before changing to the new clothes we've seen.
I think part of the reason they've got rid of the skirt is because it didn't look suitable for action scenes.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Postby adom11800 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I'm very dissapointed with the delay, I couldn't wait to play it this year but this decission it's for the best. If Suzuki thinks he needs more time to polish and enhance the game, fine by me (although it hurts!!)

In some way I was expecting this, they haven't barely showed real gameplay and we even didn't see Ryo walking, so expecting the release of the game this year could be near impossible. I had a bit of hope because we know Suzuki is very secretive about his job and in his old days at Sega he even downgrade his work (to show to it to the management) so that he could take more time but this time I see it's different.

What I do think they should improve it's the way the do some things, delaying again the game could hurt a bit less if they show at least one just minute of gameplay, seeing at last Ryo walking around Bailu and interacting with some NPC because after all, If it weren't for us, the fans, Shenmue 3 would not be alive today. I know Deep Silver is in charge of PR now and things have change in that way but it's just my humble opinion.

About the video posted by a fellow before, I love the new scenes! I can see also we have seen already at least 4 differents models of Shenhua, I think the last one is the one Cedric showed us in his tweeter:

And as I thought, they have showed us dated material in some updates and not the last build, in this pre alpha video we can see the little girl that we saw in the last Magic Monaco, and we were thinking this was new! I don't understand why they don't show the real estate of the game.

I hope they show gameplay at last in E3 or in Gamescom, we deserve it!

Couldn't agree more with you man! We do deserve to see some gameplay. If it's not at E3 then surely it has to be at gamescom? Also, the more I look at the new images, the more I love them. I think Ryo and Shenhua just look so good and detailed. Look how detailed the tiger symbol looks on Ryo's jacket, man.. props to the team and I feel the delay will only do the game good. But please enough of this silence and then showing older images.

I think we might all go crazy when we see what the actual game looks like.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: Hazuki00
adom11800

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 18, 2018 5:25 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote: So much progress has already been made. One more year and this game will finally be ready.

Slight typo there, 2016 when it should be 2015.

But yeah, the visuals are only really just a piece of the puzzle, but how far it's come cannot be understated (I wish the habitual graphics bitchers would take a look back to recognise this progress once in a while). This still isn't "final" either.

If this were a AAA game that showed a smoke and mirrors vertical slice, you could expect the visuals to stay roughly the same as reveal, or even get a downgrade when the devs realise they can't get the game to run acceptably on console hardware with that level of graphical fidelity. Ys Net's visuals, along with the rest of Shenmue III, will be developed iteratively and the game will likely look its best at release.

Obviously it won't turn into Uncharted 4, but they're hitting all the right notes to ship as a respectable looking AA game. I'm not sure we could ask for more than that.

Rikitatsu wrote:The game might start off with Shenhua wearing her old clothes, before changing to the new clothes we've seen. I think part of the reason they've got rid of the skirt is because it didn't look suitable for action scenes.

It'll be interesting to see if Yu's proposed idea from a few years ago about Shenhua changing her clothes will pan out. The fact that Shenhua's hair length has changed from the January screen in the same way it did throughout the Gamescom progress video, makes me wonder if they're trying to include some kind of feature that alters her appearance.

And then there's the costume change feature for Ryo that Yu suggested. If whoever handles the KS messages these days was telling the truth and they do plan to deliver on all rewards featured, that'd obviously mean the in-game backer-only jacket is still happening, and I guess that would imply they have a system like that planned or implemented.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:52 pm

adom11800 wrote:

Couldn't agree more with you man! We do deserve to see some gameplay. If it's not at E3 then surely it has to be at gamescom? Also, the more I look at the new images, the more I love them. I think Ryo and Shenhua just look so good and detailed. Look how detailed the tiger symbol looks on Ryo's jacket, man.. props to the team and I feel the delay will only do the game good. But please enough of this silence and then showing older images.

I think we might all go crazy when we see what the actual game looks like.

Yes mate, I'm a bit anxious to see some gameplay!

Graphics reminds me of old times when Suzuki was at sega, so much attention to detail, handcrafted, it's our Shenmue in 2018 graphics! This is the only game I wait for in the same way when I was a kid, so magical. Cheers!

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Niowiad » Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:Image

I still get nightmares about Ryo's early model :poke:

And I'm in love with the new Shenhua, really...

Niowiad has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Niowiad

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri May 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Niowiad wrote:

And I'm in love with the new Shenhua, really...

The updated Shenhua model has really nailed the aesthetic that is Shenmue. Ryo still requires a touch of refinement, however this will come before release.
WildManofBorneo

Postby dietsoap » Fri May 18, 2018 7:03 pm

It definitely looks a lot better, but something about his face still bothers me. I opened up MS Paint and did a shitty amateur hackjob trying to figure out what it is exactly.

I vertically increased the size of his forehead, widened his nose and increased the size of his eyes just a smidge, darkened the ends of his eyebrows, and increased the gap between his nose and mouth, but something still looks off from his DC design. I think part of it might be the ends of his mouth? It seems like there's a subtle fold that's not present on this new model. I'd be interested to know what the more visually and artistically astute on here think could make him look a little more like his DC appearance.

dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 pm

(spooky, I was writing this post before the above turned up)

Speaking of refinements...

So, I basically hate that every time new models show up and people immediately firing up their image editing software of choice to make tweaks they'd like for the models, and I say this full well knowing I do it myself too... and have done it again. I can't help myself. I think it's mostly out of the opinion a lot of the other edits are... overdone.

I think the components of a really great evolution of Ryo's look are there, just one or two proportional alterations can tie the whole thing together better.

But whatever, here are a few comparisons with a couple subtle edits:

GIF version:

If the thread starts filling up with these, they'll have to be directed to the existing Photoshop thread. I'm more trying to make a point that they almost, almost have it I think.

EDIT: If you're getting into detail stuff like eyebrows, eyes, etc etc - keep in mind those details are already there but washed out by the poor video quality.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri May 18, 2018 7:18 pm

I feel like if you literally just stretch his head vertically, it makes him look a lot better in terms of proportions:

Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Niowiad » Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Image

I like this. The chin looks more in proportion and more similar to the original look.

Niowiad has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Niowiad

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 18, 2018 8:03 pm

dietsoap wrote:I'd be interested to know what the more visually and artistically astute on here think could make him look a little more like his DC appearance.

There's no point chasing the Dreamcast look, IMO.

We arguably had it already when you look at this composite -

- and people still complained about it "not looking like Ryo" and saying "just add more polygons to the old models". I don't think anything less than the actual DC model would please them.

Given the model we've been seeing from January is technically and artistically superior to the one from last year, and undeniably recognisable as Ryo Hazuki (unless you're a Dreamcast militant, I guess), the focus should really just be on tweaks to make that model more aesthetically pleasing than trying to attain the unattainable.

Niowiad wrote:I like this. The chin looks more in proportion and more similar to the original look.

Thanks, the chin was the biggest change. Reduced by about a third.

I also inadvertently gave Ryo quite a contoured cheekbone when using the brush tool to cover up where I'd snipped and clipped, but I kinda dig it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm

adom11800 wrote:I think we might all go crazy when we see what the actual game looks like.

Trust me, you will.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Elevensixty, Jibby, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III