What Brought You To Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Shenmueplaya » Thu May 22, 2003 11:50 am

The demo video and the articles that came in ODCM and since then I just researched it and got in to the whole thing.
Shenmueplaya
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Forklift#5 » Thu May 22, 2003 2:58 pm

Silas wrote:I'm not a games magazine man, in fact I didn't have any consoles before I got my Dreamcast. I bought it because a friend showed me Sonic Adventure and I absolutely fell in love with the new generation of gaming in 3D (something I had more or less waited my life for). But I did pick up one DC magazine, and saw a small corner article with a couple of pictures, and this "Shenmue" thing seemed to be the answer to my dreams. So I pre-ordered it (still the only game I've ever pre-ordered). Then in the week it was released I was reading reviews saying how disappointing it was, it was more linear than expected, there wasn't as much freedom as expected. So now I'm thinking "I've blown £32 on a crock of shit!" The next day it popped through my letter box. So I thought, "What the hell, I'll give it a go!" Which I did as soon as I got back from work.

I went to bed about 2:30am that night! I spent the whole first day in Shenmue just exploring the Dojo. Then when going round Sakuragaoka and Dobuita I spent as much time going round the back of blocks of flats, up the stairs and knocking on doors as I did progressing the plot! You see games today like GTA:VC which have implemented this kind of full 3D environment, but Shenmue really was the pioneer in this field.

yeah, sega is the pioneer in everything, then someone has to bring up some technicality. Like with PSO, it was the first console MMORPG, but of coarse they take it away from sega and then give it to Final Fantasy XI becasue it's totaly online, unlike PSO which lets you play online and offline
Forklift#5
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mikec_ct » Thu May 22, 2003 7:13 pm

PSO is an online RPG, but I'll be anal and say it's TECHNICALLY not a MMORPG, because you only have 4 players at the most in an actual game even though there are many more in the lobbies. Just a technicality and it doesn't even matter, but I thought I'd be a jerk ;)

It is the first online console RPG that I'm aware of though.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Shenmue

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu May 22, 2003 7:45 pm

Shenmue was my Destiny! I saw a pic in the web and only days later I had a dreamcast and shenmue. Since then I´m a total fan. I´ve always been a "Japan Fan" (But that nickname was already taken *g*), but shenmue is my favorite game.

BTW: My favorite Movie is "Fallen Angels" from "Wong Kar Wai". It´s not japanese (It´s Hong Kong), but in Shenmue 2 some bars rembered me the movie...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ChaiOgawa » Thu May 22, 2003 10:06 pm

Actually I had no idea what shenmue was untill my brother came home with like 5 games for my dreamcast because I didnt have any. It was Fur fighters, Sonic, 2 other games I forget, and then there was shenmue. At first look on the front of it I didnt think it was going to be a game I would like then one night I was bored and decided to try it, I didnt know it would become my life for a week, and no im a big fan.
ChaiOgawa

Postby TaoLishao » Sat May 24, 2003 3:05 am

commercial. once it was over, i thought 'what was that?' i thought it was a movie until the T-rating andDC logo showed up. i was already interested at age 10! i rented it 2 years later.it was then i remembered the commercial. i bought it a month later. and SII in about 8 months later. another year later, still hooked... though no one knew wat i was so obsessed with. =P
TaoLishao
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Sat May 24, 2003 9:19 am

Hmmm... let's see....

I was at Gamestop in December, 2002. I had extra money left so I thought I'd buy a DC game... I saw Shenmue, looked on the back, and it seemes like my kinda game. I was hooked from the opening scene, even at the boring parts at the beginning!

I couldn't afford Shenmue II imported, so when I got an Xbox for Easter, I bought Shenmue II... ;)
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Araviel » Sat May 24, 2003 11:29 am

Actually I think I have to thank my dad for gettin into Shenmue, he agreed buying me a Dreamcast and since he plays an aweful lot of PCgames he always check out games when he's online and he started to do so with DC games too and so he ordered Shenmue for me. Brilliant!
On the first demo I got when buying my DC it was a preview on Shenmue2, got me all hooked :D
Araviel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Stevie » Sun May 25, 2003 2:36 pm

I saw someone playing it in HMV and thought,
''that looks interesting,'' so i played it an thought ''it's a nice looking game
but what do I have to do?'' So I bought it for myself, cos I thought it
would be interesting, and I also saw alot of people buying it which
was a bonus, so it became my new main game before Sonic Adventure.
Then I grew to love it.
Stevie
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TEEPO™ » Mon May 26, 2003 5:06 am

It was before the DC came out in the Uk. I remember reading some articles, previews and reviews of it in Gamesmaster magazine(best mag in the world) And I thought this would be cool. Anyway, what really caught my interest was that short documentry about how great the DC is(rememeber the guy talking about the VMU?) and it had a clip of Shenmue. I didn't know the title of it then, and I accidently bought another game thinking it was Shenmue :roll: When I played I realised it wasn't. Then I realised it wasn't even out. Anyway, I couldn't wait any longer for it come out, so I payed about £70 for the japanese import(which came with a Shenmue music CD) Thrn when it came out in the Uk I bought it again(Coz I can't understand Japanese) And the rest is history.

TEEPO™ has received a thanks from: QWERTY
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby Cyberman » Mon May 26, 2003 10:43 am

The fact that it took place in Japan.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Tomo » Mon May 26, 2003 11:35 am

Miles Prower wrote:I think I first read about it in CVG magazine, the shots just blew me away, I knew I wanted that game ^_^

that used to be me my favoroute magazine(a long time ago) and then sometime in 1999 it got a new look and then it started to get $hit and unreliable
Last edited by Tomo on Tue May 27, 2003 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Silas » Mon May 26, 2003 3:03 pm

The Crypt Keeper wrote:The fact that it took place in Japan.
Well, that wasn't why I bought it, but it was certainly one of the main reasons I fell in love with it - and Japan at the same time!
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Heart Of Swords » Tue May 27, 2003 11:58 am

You guys remember that commercial with the guy making out with his girlfriend and then she punches him in the eye cuz he calls her Nozomi? I'd heard of Shenmue and seen stuff in magazines, but i forgot about it until I saw that commercial and it showed the clips of the game and I knew I had to get it.

I still laugh when I think about the guy sitting there and his black eye shouting "SEGA!" :lol:
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zimingshenmue » Wed May 28, 2003 6:55 pm

Well, I noticed Shenmue in 1999.I read an article that said that Shenmue was the big bet from Sega to the DreamCast.the most expensive game ever,the game that would revolutionize the industry,an exact reproduction of the real world...I just had to play that game.and the rest is history...
Zimingshenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue