Unpopular Opinions

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:48 pm

That's corn husk but paper as we use today was invented by the chinese same with the ink we base it on. 23 BC but they used a brush. Egyptians created the pen
Last edited by Bluecast on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Jeff » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Just FYI, I said nothing about black people in this topic....carry on. :-"
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby KiBa » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Everything I've ever thought or said.

For example: although evil, slavery caused different races to coexist on a scale unknown since Genesis, creating globalization in less than five centuries, and thus the impetus for the reunification of humanity after splintering over the course of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years. As the old eugenic scientists were horrified to discover, the more faces they merged together (in an attempt to find degenerate characteristics), the better looking the portrait became, until they beheld a face of such beauty and nobility, they thought they had accidentally discovered the face of Adam himself. Life did not begin as one and become many; it began as many, and is converging into one. Once we reassemble our original form by means of love, the vase that fell off the table and shattered will run in reverse, and the four winds will return the lost flowers of our beauty and glory, all talents living as one again, all thoughts as one without error and fear, all ability and health restored. The student will be ready; the master will appear, and the memory of all who ever lived and died, even unto the faintest dream of the unborn, past and future, will become actualized in us, the new Adam, who, full of life like a fountain against eternal disintegration, will rise into the heavens, and after seeing and knowing all things, pass through darkness behind the stars and their worlds, and begin the sequel to the

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzRm_Ut7HM[/youtube]

I can't believe the bullshit you get me to waste time writing, but with the Dojo, I can't help it.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Yes, point, I did honestly forget about Kahn and his army emptying libraries into the river Nile. Still, were Egyptians not the pioneers of turning honest folk into slaves? It's a tradition that was passed on throughout history. You can't honestly suggest that these were all willing servants. And yes, a lot of bad came out of the slave trade, I'll say again, but some good still came out of it.

As for America and Europe making Africa their number one priority... get fucking real. In Batman comics, the story of Bane goes that his father was given so many life sentences that Bane himself, as soon as he was born, had to carry out the rest of his sentence. This would mean that America and Europe would do the same. Paying for the sins of the father. Absolute bollocks. If that's the case then Italy, China, and ourselves owe the world fucking big time.

At the end of the day, nothing can justify slavery. Ever. And nobody is trying to. We're not that stupid, it's just difficult to ignore the fact that such a chain of events has led to where we are now.

Call me ignorant, racist, whatever, but if I went back in time and had the chance to end slavery before it began, knowing full well that there would be no Illmatic, no Life (the film btw), no historical story of triumph of how black people in America overcame all the bullshit they went through and came out on top... I don't think I would. Okay, now I just sound selfish, but goddamnit, it's all part of history. Lessons have been learned. Amends have been made. Maybe not to the extent that a lot of people feel they should have, but anything else is unrealistic.

And as you said, there's plenty of civil wars and rioting that have caused Africa so many problems. Hell, a lot of it doesn't make it onto the news. Some are even village-to-village wars that don't even figure into any great plan within the nation. The continent needs help, yes, but some brutal truths need to be realised first. I mean, fuck me, there's so many places that shouldn't even be inhabited by people. Water's scarce, crops are difficult to grow, but then there's the flip side... where can they go? And why should families have to move? How would they move? Who would let them move into their town?

This is where all the First World Problem memes come from. Whilst we moan about our economies via Facebook which we access via our 3.4Ghz computers using our £25/month internet contract, wondering where to go on a night out at the weekend and which in-store deal for the new AAA title we should choose, some kids in Africa die. Some teenagers in Africa are pointing a gun in their parents' faces. Some adults in Africa are trying to find a way to tell their families that their three months of hard work will result in no food and no payment. Sure, this happens elsewhere, that isn't the point. There are also families in Africa who lead perfectly happy lives, kids who have fun every day, teenagers who are getting snapped up on scholarships and some being whisked away to Europe to play football (preferably for Manchester City if they're good) Africa needs a lot of work, but there's only so much that can be done through the various charities and aid workers already in place.

Thing is, what we need to do is look at the good within the bad. We spent enough time looking at the bad within the good (film and video game critics anyone?) People do the latter all the time, yet get scrutinised for the former. In the spirit of the topic, it's a very unpopular thing to do, but it's a positive thing to do, and whether people like it or not, whether they can see it or they can't, whether they will believe it or they won't, there is good in everything, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing that out.

You can lead an entirely miserable life if you want, hold grudges, moan about whatever you come across, fine, whatever, but as Jeff recently posted "you can't keep a good guy down". Although that is absolute bullshit, as I could prove if I were 16 years old again and scouring the forum for my latest victim. But I won't. Even though I could. I won't. But I could...

EDIT: Yes, I believe Brotherman's right about the Egyptians. I'm 90% sure that their use of papyrus pre-dates any use of paper, far-eastern or elsewhere. Although I could be wrong (and I'm also quite certain that papyrus technically isn't paper before any wannabe smartarses jump on that)
Last edited by MiTT3NZ on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby beedle » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 pm

oh god i genuinely don't know where to start with this slavery argument.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh, and another unpopular opinion I have (there's a lot I have believe it or not...) is that family ain't as important as a lot of people make out.

And pedos, murderers n rapists shouldn't be killed, nor should they be put in prison. They should be banished. Put in holding until we have a certain number of them, then given a survival kit, flown over the Antarctic, shoved out of the plane (obviously they'd get a parachute), and if they survive, they're a fine enough specimen of human ability to live elsewhere... just not in our country.

As for throwing out asylum seekers n shit... take them out to the sea via boat, give them a dinghy, put em on it just outside the border, then aim a gun at them til they're beyond the horizon. I should be King.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:49 pm

hey my people were enslaved too, can I get some political correctness or did we blow that with the soviet union?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 pm

DMC4>DMC3

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yama » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Ryudo wrote:DMC4>DMC3

Factually incorrect. Though at least say Nero's segment in specific and I'd let it slide.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:24 am

Sonic Colors > Mario Galaxy
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Brothaman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:36 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yes, point, I did honestly forget about Kahn and his army emptying libraries into the river Nile. Still, were Egyptians not the pioneers of turning honest folk into slaves? It's a tradition that was passed on throughout history. You can't honestly suggest that these were all willing servants. And yes, a lot of bad came out of the slave trade, I'll say again, but some good still came out of it.

No, the Egyptians where not the pioneers of slavery. The way it worked, if you could not pay your debts then your ass was a complete slave. But my point is the bad outweighs the good.

MiTT3NZ wrote: As for America and Europe making Africa their number one priority... get fucking real. In Batman comics, the story of Bane goes that his father was given so many life sentences that Bane himself, as soon as he was born, had to carry out the rest of his sentence. This would mean that America and Europe would do the same. Paying for the sins of the father. Absolute bollocks. If that's the case then Italy, China, and ourselves owe the world fucking big time.

Um, I don't relate to comics. But I will say that Africans don't want your charity. They want jobs, and the jobs are coming in the future.

MiTT3NZ wrote: At the end of the day, nothing can justify slavery. Ever. And nobody is trying to. We're not that stupid, it's just difficult to ignore the fact that such a chain of events has led to where we are now.

Ok..... but some of the things I've read make me think otherwise.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Call me ignorant, racist, whatever, but if I went back in time and had the chance to end slavery before it began, knowing full well that there would be no Illmatic, no Life (the film btw), no historical story of triumph of how black people in America overcame all the bullshit they went through and came out on top... I don't think I would. Okay, now I just sound selfish, but goddamnit, it's all part of history. Lessons have been learned. Amends have been made. Maybe not to the extent that a lot of people feel they should have, but anything else is unrealistic.

I see your love of movies, music, and culture. But thousands did not die for their decedents to become entertainers.

MiTT3NZ wrote: And as you said, there's plenty of civil wars and rioting that have caused Africa so many problems. Hell, a lot of it doesn't make it onto the news. Some are even village-to-village wars that don't even figure into any great plan within the nation. The continent needs help, yes, but some brutal truths need to be realised first. I mean, fuck me, there's so many places that shouldn't even be inhabited by people. Water's scarce, crops are difficult to grow, but then there's the flip side... where can they go? And why should families have to move? How would they move? Who would let them move into their town?

To be honest, allot of it is over hyped now a days. Africa is allot more civilized then western media will want the world to know.

MiTT3NZ wrote: This is where all the First World Problem memes come from. Whilst we moan about our economies via Facebook which we access via our 3.4Ghz computers using our £25/month internet contract, wondering where to go on a night out at the weekend and which in-store deal for the new AAA title we should choose, some kids in Africa die. Some teenagers in Africa are pointing a gun in their parents' faces. Some adults in Africa are trying to find a way to tell their families that their three months of hard work will result in no food and no payment. Sure, this happens elsewhere, that isn't the point. There are also families in Africa who lead perfectly happy lives, kids who have fun every day, teenagers who are getting snapped up on scholarships and some being whisked away to Europe to play football (preferably for Manchester City if they're good) Africa needs a lot of work, but there's only so much that can be done through the various charities and aid workers already in place.

The work is being done. And if the U.N. keeps their paws out, the continent of Africa will become a rising economic power in next 10 to 20 years. Plenty of resources there.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Thing is, what we need to do is look at the good within the bad. We spent enough time looking at the bad within the good (film and video game critics anyone?) People do the latter all the time, yet get scrutinised for the former. In the spirit of the topic, it's a very unpopular thing to do, but it's a positive thing to do, and whether people like it or not, whether they can see it or they can't, whether they will believe it or they won't, there is good in everything, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing that out.

The way it was being presented was disrespectful for all the thousands that wrongfully enslaved and killed. Ignoring the bad in this situation is just plain running away from the truth.

MiTT3NZ wrote: You can lead an entirely miserable life if you want, hold grudges, moan about whatever you come across, fine, whatever, but as Jeff recently posted "you can't keep a good guy down". Although that is absolute bullshit, as I could prove if I were 16 years old again and scouring the forum for my latest victim. But I won't. Even though I could. I won't. But I could...

There's a difference between being miserable and holding grudges, and having honor for your ancestors. But I'll chill out for now.
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:20 am

I wasn't talking about balance. If some psycho kills everyone in a building bar one person who managed to survive, I'd be happy for the guy that was alive, as opposed to bangin on about how terrible it was that so many other people died.

Another unpopular opinion I have is that I couldn't give two shits about my ancestors. They were born, they lived, they died. Every fucker's been through some form of struggle. As time goes on, future generations go through it less and less, and the severity greatly decreases. There are still the unfortunates that have it bad, but compare the world now to how it was a thousand years ago, no matter where the hell in the world they are, life on a whole is better now. Okay, okay, I know people jump on that a lot with the whole "how is it better, just because of media bla bla I'm a self-righteous cunt" bollocks, let's settle on saying it's easier for the vast majority.

The point I'm getting at is if we all become hyper-sensitive about our roots traced back hundreds of years then we'd all be stuck-up tight-arsed nob eds with enough sand in our vaginas to build our own Sahara Desert. I can easily accept the fact that my great great great great great great great grandparents had to work their fingers to the bone from age 5, got no education, watched their siblings die in factories and fall victim to numerous horrendous diseases because they weren't born with a silver spoon up their arses. Why? Coz I know it paved the way for this life right now. For fuck sake, in a thousand years time, kids are gonna be learning about our way of life n thinkin "Shit, didn't those poor fuckers have it rough?"

That's just the way shit goes. It's how humans as a whole have progressed to this point, and it's a fact you can't ignore.

Gotta say though, you have got me at my complete ignorance about modern day Africa. My level of knowledge besides highly publicised events don't go beyond the year I was born (the books I've read are from before Nelson Mandella was released!) so I'll refrain from actin like a complete twat n "retract any statement" I made about post-1980s Africa.

Either way, I'll always stand by the notion that if slavery never existed, and in turn eliminated any of the people, entertainers, or events in my life, I wouldn't be a very happy bunny, coz as much as the people went through in the past, I care more about the people in the present.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Jeff » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 am

Far more can be gained focusing on the future, than dwelling on the past.

Jeff has received 4 thanks from: Golf Wang, KiBa, Perfect_Chaos, St. Elmo's Fire
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:27 am

To build for a better future, you must first acknowledge the past. Otherwise, if you were to ignore all the mistakes you'd made, what would stop you from making them again and again and again?

EDIT: @Ryudo: Taking that away from the Egyptians is like saying cavemen didn't create the wheel because it wasn't perfectly rounded, so the prize for wheel invention goes to Mr. Carpenter because he managed to do so with no edges. The concept was there, the material used was changed.

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: Brothaman, Kenny, KiBa, OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:38 am

Socialized Medicine is bad in the long term.

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: OL, Spokane
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic