Your favorite Shenmue character?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Your favorite Shenmue character?

Postby mue 26 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 pm

I don't think I can just pick one.

Xuiying (because if there's one video game female I would fall in love with, it'd be her) Ren (Because you can't help but love that crook with the good heart, and yeah, he's just so cool) Shenhua (Because she's so mysterious, has special powers and I really just want to know more about her!) Jianmin (because of his personal relevance to my life) Ryo (Because he's a slab of manboy, but a capsule loving, adorable slab of manboy) and Tom (Is he Jamaican, Indian or Japanese? I'll probably never know, but it's hard to think of a more colourful and endearing chap.)

Those would be my personal favourites, but really Shenmue is packed with so many great characters, so I'm still not quite happy with that list!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu May 17, 2012 12:35 pm

ren because he gets shit done and doesn't whine like a lot of the other characters in the saga, also I've always been a fan of the criminal with a good heart character

I do agree Ren gets shit done, but if you think about it, he's a huge whiner! Remember following Yuan? "Why is she so damn weird?" and when Ryo is inserting keys in the Ghost Hall Bldg.."Hurry it up!"...lots of examples of Ren complaining, but usually because of Ryo being stupid :lol:
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spokane » Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 pm

My favorite Ren line is when you have lost a few fights in the Yellowhead, "Why don't you use your brain musclehead" or something like that. And when you get caught running for cover under the blinking florescent lights "He's such an idiot"".
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby south carmain » Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
ren because he gets shit done and doesn't whine like a lot of the other characters in the saga, also I've always been a fan of the criminal with a good heart character

I do agree Ren gets shit done, but if you think about it, he's a huge whiner! Remember following Yuan? "Why is she so damn weird?" and when Ryo is inserting keys in the Ghost Hall Bldg.."Hurry it up!"...lots of examples of Ren complaining, but usually because of Ryo being stupid :lol:

yeah he does complain a lot I agree, but I don't really categorize him as a whiner like Ryo always self lamenting, even xuiying was fed up of him :lol: well that's how I saw it anyway
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonikku » Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Spokane wrote:My favorite Ren line is when you have lost a few fights in the Yellowhead, "Why don't you use your brain musclehead" or something like that. And when you get caught running for cover under the blinking florescent lights "He's such an idiot"".

Well, he is! Who's walking over a bunch of wobbly wooden planks in buildings where the floors have fallen through while Ren just takes the damn elevator? :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

The Deer scare in the pond & the yellow cat in front of the house.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby KiBa » Fri May 18, 2012 5:36 am

Eileen M. Edelweiss because nobody has mentioned her yet. She will be 42 this July.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Fri May 18, 2012 11:05 am

As my name points out Ren.

He's so cool that he actually brought a hint of personality to the robotic Ryo (when Ryo takes the piss out of Dou Niu when they finally lose him, that was Rens influence) even if it's only a little bit. And the way Ryo flips both coins at the end, minor but I can just tell Ren brought some life to Ryo, that friendship is more important that it seems, I could bet my life that if there were to be a sequel we haven't seen the last of Ren.

Made a reanactment of my favourite Ren moments using Saints Row 2, fun times.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMzpQ5HFnM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FRmgbhR4w[/youtube]

Dude needs to add a poll to this thread.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Playing through the Yellowhead building again last night, I definitely agree Ren has brought some life to Ryo. I love how natural that high five they exchange is.

Also noticed that after clearing each floor's "major event", Ren will initiate a little convo if you turn around and face him which are usually pretty interesting - in one, Ren mentions how he hates feeling nervous with Dou Niu and Yuan on their trail.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The Grrreat Chai » Sat May 19, 2012 12:41 pm

In Shenmue II, I would say my favourite side characters are Ren, Fangmei and Yuan.

Ren for most of the reasons already mentioned, he's cheeky and cool. Fangmei is just so sweet and earnest, I've been replaying Shenmue II recently and you can tell she really wants to help Ryo, even when she can't answer Ryo's queries directly.

And for Yuan, what's not to like about a guy in heels chasing you around with a chainsaw.
The Grrreat Chai
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Dragon Age II

Postby Andy Hughes » Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Its got to be Ren, same reasons really! Really cool, wise and cheeky :)
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 20, 2012 4:31 am

I liked Ren from the start and i loved little stuff like him trying to kick the lift door only for it to open or the Look Ryo gives when he shows up saying he had a key to the lift when looking for Zu.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Sun May 20, 2012 6:21 am

Ren & Ryo buddy movie if we can't get Shenmue 3.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Sun May 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Loved Gui Zhang and Ren, they both were very enjoyable and I think had the best voices in the English releases.

Yamagishi - san was a pretty cool character, the one who taught the Double Blow move in Shenmue I, and I also like the sinister character of Lan Di.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spokane » Sun May 20, 2012 7:31 pm

The Grrreat Chai wrote:In Shenmue II, I would say my favourite side characters are Ren, Fangmei and Yuan.

Ren for most of the reasons already mentioned, he's cheeky and cool. Fangmei is just so sweet and earnest, I've been replaying Shenmue II recently and you can tell she really wants to help Ryo, even when she can't answer Ryo's queries directly.

And for Yuan, what's not to like about a guy in heels chasing you around with a chainsaw.

You didn't mention the guy your named after. Chai is a great freaky as fuck character.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue