Yu Suzuki on Shenmue 3: "I think Sega will let me make it"

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Yu Suzuki on Shenmue 3: "I think Sega will let me make it"

Postby Mr. Rod » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:33 pm

During his GDC 2011 panel, Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki said "I think Sega will let me make it," referring to the long-awaited Shenmue 3. However, it's not a guarantee. He couched the discussion by saying it's contingent on budget issues -- by the way, Suzuki said that Shenmue cost $47 million to make, not the patently ridiculous $70 million Sega quoted -- and that he basically could only be sure that 200 people (the people in the room) would buy it.

GDC 2011 Yu Suzuki Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocuHKHKlFBs

Mega64 & Yu Suzuki Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ

Read more: GameSpot, Kotaku, Joystiq

Thanks to our member Raj! for providing these exciting news!
Mr. Rod
Mr. Fishing Rod
Shenmue Dojo Coder

PSN: Mister_RROD
XBL: Mister RROD
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki on Shenmue 3: "I think Sega will let me make i

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 pm

AliMN will be kicking himself he didnt ask this. His head would have literally exploded in front of Suzuki.

On the topic at hand, its curious to say the least. A lot of people will jump to shoot this down as the usual "looks like something but probably nothing" scenario, and they probably are right. But you cannot deny that its a hell of a lot different to the 5 year "no plans/no comment" response. Before i go off pretending to know things when im not clear on it, could someone possibly make it a bit more clear on what Yu Suzukis position in the gaming industry? Does he still work for a Sega department or is he independent now (does he have his own company)? Does Sega own the rights to Shenmue, in that if Suzuki had an independent development company and wanted to develop Shenmue 3, he couldnt without getting the ok from Sega to use the franchise?

What im getting at is, what if Suzuki actually does want to begin production on Shenmue III, but needs to cough up some extra money to pay off Sega for the rights to Shenmue? Hence by what he says, in that he thinks Sega will "let" him?

Oh and would therebe a video of this? If i see it and hear the crowd screaming the way they did, i would cum all over the place!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Peter wrote:AliMN will be kicking himself he didnt ask this. His head would have literally exploded in front of Suzuki.

On the topic at hand, its curious to say the least. A lot of people will jump to shoot this down as the usual "looks like something but probably nothing" scenario, and they probably are right. But you cannot deny that its a hell of a lot different to the 5 year "no plans/no comment" response. Before i go off pretending to know things when im not clear on it, could someone possibly make it a bit more clear on what Yu Suzukis position in the gaming industry? Does he still work for a Sega department or is he independent now (does he have his own company)? Does Sega own the rights to Shenmue, in that if Suzuki had an independent development company and wanted to develop Shenmue 3, he couldnt without getting the ok from Sega to use the franchise?

What im getting at is, what if Suzuki actually does want to begin production on Shenmue III, but needs to cough up some extra money to pay off Sega for the rights to Shenmue? Hence by what he says, in that he thinks Sega will "let" him?

He's still with Sega, he's part of Prope(Yuji Naka's studio) but still a part of Sega proper. I think its a matter of him asking and them saying yes, they've got money, a lot of people are showing interest. If we get a re-release of 1 and 2 then I think thats what will decide it (and it means everyone here is buying 3 or 10 copies)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:10 pm

This is great news mainly because it's coming from the man himself and not the head of Sega Germany or whatever. YS is one of the only people who will know if SIII will get made and this sounds positive.

Only problem is that he is so rare to hear from that if it's a no this is the last we will hear for the next 5 years. Just left waiting like the Kikizo days.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Via a translator, Yu Suzuki started talking about Shenmue 3, stating "I think SEGA will let me make it…it's a matter of budget…we have to make it in an affordable way."

Suzuki also quashed the rumors that the original Shenmue cost SEGA $70 million dollars to make, stating that it actually cost $47 million.

And finally, he also mentioned the purported MMO Shenmue Online, stating "of course we want to make it someday."

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1153035p1.html
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Panda_rapist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:25 pm

feels good \:D/ but let's try not to bash the man down if this doesn't turn out right, mmmk gaiz
Panda_rapist

Postby EWJ » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 pm

What I don't understand is why he would say something like this now if he really does believe it is going to happen one day. I mean, he says 'I think' when referring to the possibility of SEGA giving him the go ahead, though is he in a position to be that optimistic himself?

Perhaps he was trying to fan the flames in the hope SEGA will take notice, or just saying what everyone wanted to hear.

In any case, I hope it is the beginning of something.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Cool. At least confirmation that he's still thinking of it. Good news.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Global Sticky??? :shock:

Holy capsule toys Batman!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Raj! » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:39 pm

More of a detailed report and a full recap of Yu Suzuki at GDC, very good read:

http://uk.gamespot.com/events/gdc2011/s ... id=6301637
Raj!
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I honestly never thought I'd see the day where there's...positive Shenmue III news! :shock:
Still no reason to go apeshit yet, but yeah, I think it's a good enough excuse for us to be cautiously optimistic, at least. :D
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I wanna see a video of the crowd reaction. Apparently they go batshit crazy.

Yu Suzuki wrote:"Sega I think is going to let me make it," Suzuki said, adding, "I think it is just up to the budget."

The more and more i read this, i cant help get excited. :D
Last edited by Peter on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:45 pm

"I think" sounds a bit uncertain, but Yu Suzuki is not known for bullshitting much, so i still value these words very high. \:D/
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Panda_rapist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm

^ i wanna see almin go crazy in the crowd :lol:
Panda_rapist

Next

Return to News and Updates