Sega's fate to be decided within the next few hours

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby denile » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:40 am

Segafanboy, using the word 'goth' in describing AFI is tres passe.
But fair dues, on having some taste.

To be honest, I don't see why so many of you are getting so annoyed about the Sammy takeover bid. Yes, it'll could affect the release of shenmue 3, but you're pretty naive if you think that boycotts and online petitions are going to help.

Shenmue 3 isn't going to be released if they think that its not going to make enough money. No matter whose in charge, that is the case. Sammy, Microsoft, Nintendo, it doesn't matter. They are all companies in the business of making money VIA videogames, not videogames VIA money.

In fact the only way that I can see Shenmue 3 being released is if most (or at least a significant amount) of the costs have already been incurred. That just may be the case. The research, the script and the score are complete. Much of the technical side wouldn't take that much work either. The only downside is that if it sees a release, its likely to play pretty much the exact same as shenmue 3. The graphics won't be greatly improved but perhaps the loading won't be an issue this time around.
denile
Master of the Three Blades

Postby b_ren » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:13 am

denile wrote:Segafanboy, using the word 'goth' in describing AFI is tres passe.
But fair dues, on having some taste.

To be honest, I don't see why so many of you are getting so annoyed about the Sammy takeover bid. Yes, it'll could affect the release of shenmue 3, but you're pretty naive if you think that boycotts and online petitions are going to help.

Shenmue 3 isn't going to be released if they think that its not going to make enough money. No matter whose in charge, that is the case. Sammy, Microsoft, Nintendo, it doesn't matter. They are all companies in the business of making money VIA videogames, not videogames VIA money.

In fact the only way that I can see Shenmue 3 being released is if most (or at least a significant amount) of the costs have already been incurred. That just may be the case. The research, the script and the score are complete. Much of the technical side wouldn't take that much work either. The only downside is that if it sees a release, its likely to play pretty much the exact same as shenmue 3. The graphics won't be greatly improved but perhaps the loading won't be an issue this time around.
Well first of all the expensive part is done. The story is finished and I'm sure most areas and characters are finished with just a little bit of changes needed in some places. I don't think Shenmue sales are is bad as everyone says they are I mean even the most popular game in the world would struggle paying off 70 million.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby denile » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:09 am

Some truth in that I'd imagine. But wouldn't the voices acting be one of the more expensive areas? What about debugging? The Shenmue games take forever to debug. I've this nightmare that Shenmue 3 will basically be Shenmue 2 level graphics with no voice acting, lots of bugs and massive loading times.

Whats sad is that even if I knew that Shenmue 3 was going to be that shoddy, I'd still buy the game.
denile

Postby Jiezeru » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:25 pm

FUCK YOU SAMMY AQRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH(CHOKES)argh
This is bad news, but still, stay positive peeps, theres been worse news than this before.
Jiezeru
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby b_ren » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:31 pm

denile wrote:Some truth in that I'd imagine. But wouldn't the voices acting be one of the more expensive areas? What about debugging? The Shenmue games take forever to debug. I've this nightmare that Shenmue 3 will basically be Shenmue 2 level graphics with no voice acting, lots of bugs and massive loading times.

Whats sad is that even if I knew that Shenmue 3 was going to be that shoddy, I'd still buy the game.
I have a feeling they have been slowly developing Shenmue 3. I don't know but in all this time since the saturn version they should have some parts to Shenmue 3 allready done.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Garbaman » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:24 pm

Yah, I'm certain there has been conceptual work done on Shenmue III. That can be the lenghtiest part of the development. Research on art style, culture and environments. Then again, they probably had all that done since Shenmue was released. Shenmue II footage was already being shown before the release of Shenmue, so assuming that much of the pre-production work for Shenmue III has been done is plausible.
Garbaman
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to Shenmue III