Will Shenmue 3 Be A Good Game Overall

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue 3 Be A Good Game Overall

Postby IveBeenCensored » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:16 pm

I was just reading an old topic, and a few people were saying how Shenmue 3 will be awesome when it comes out. I'm thinking this may or may not be the case. I'm sure we will all like it (it's Shenmue), but will it actually be an extaordinary and system pushing game? Heres why I don't think so:

Overall: Yu is lucky to get a budget and time for the game, so both will be smaller than expected

Story: Yu has to squish at least 3-4 games into 1
Graphics: Due to budget, Yu uses old graphics engine and doesn't do much to improve it
Gameplay: There is so much story that needs to be packed in that it affects the gameplay
Sound: same shitty voice actors

From a Business standpoint: Great reviews won't do much for Shenmue. The game will sell to its hardcore fan base, which will buy it regardless of anything I mentioned. It may not be worth the money to make the game great.
Just a though, I very well may be, and hope I am, completely wrong (except about the part of actually releasing the game)
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

uhmm

Postby Ortiz-t » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:18 pm

first off all, were 1 & 2 bad? they did not had that badly graphics.

and screw the graphics, it may not be as beautiful as resident evil or something.

but its the storyyyyyyyyy

thats it the storyyyyy
Ortiz-t
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Musashi » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:45 pm

Suzuki is an expert in creating games, overall he will make sure graphics and sound are good, but his main concern is gameplay. He would not have been so succesful or great a game writer if his games were not enjoyable as GAMES. It's true, he is creating Shenmue like a film, so visuals are important, but even with Shenmue II the graphics weren't amazing (though still impressive); the use of film techniques, camera angles, and lighting etc. made up for this.

If the graphics are the same as Shenmue II, I will be more than overjoyed, but the gameplay must be on par as SMII or greater. Which is what really counts, if Shenmue becomes more than vapourware, I'm sure Yu will not disappoint.

About fitting so many chapters into one game, not to worry. I'm sure the script writers will make it so it is not rushed or cheaply done. If this is to be the last game, it will go out with a bang.
Musashi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby IveBeenCensored » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:08 pm

As I said that may or may not be the case. And 1 and 2 where not bad graphics, but if they came out today, it would be a little dissapointing. But I don't care if its in 2d, I'll be happy just for the game to be released.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:40 pm

All I can say is, Shenmue 3 is going to be jaw-dropping gorgeous. I have a feeling that Shenmue 3 is going to be beyond incredible... The beauty of Shenmue 3 will make us say, holy-moly-whoa...whoa.................!!!! lol.

shit, I really can't wait any longer to see the first trailer of Shenmue 3. Oh my........................... this is taking forever!
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby santino » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:57 pm

if they want to make money, they should take their time and make shenmue great. they know that all of us will buy it. but it will get great reviews and that will mean much more sales. all the great reviews is the reason why Prince of Persia sold so much, that game doesnt have a great hardcore fanbase. sega can tap into those types pf people as well as us hardcore fans. will they do it? probably not.
santino
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:01 pm

The thing is that many people dislike the elements that make shenmue a great serie oh well i want my copy of SIII
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby white lotus » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:03 pm

ummmmm...yeah
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:08 pm

Yu set the standard for each of every game he has ever made...he even has 3 arcade machines in the smithsonian museum....Shenmue was my first Yu Suzuki game that I owned Virtua fighter was the first i played but it was not the last He is my second fave game developer/creator.

If he were to rush the game out it would have been out already.

The fact we are waiting proves he is trying to assemble the right time and tools and devloping team to make this game.

We just don't know when the game will come out but when it does it will be as amazing if not more than the first 2.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby IveBeenCensored » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:12 am

Intruder: calm down, i hope ur write, but im not counting on it
Santino: If the game gets great reviews, it will definetly boost sales, but I don't think enough to make up for the increased development budget.
Sonic_Blue : I don't think that is the case at all, even if it is a half ass game, it will still be expensive enough, and I doubt the reason it isn't out now is that hes making a great game, its that Sega can't decide whether to make the game or not

Santino (again): The reasons I don't think great reviews will increase Shenmue are as follows (from another topic I wrote before):
Commercially it failed, no doubt. Why, can such a great game fail. Why did Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio: Future fail commercially? I don't know, but these are my theories as to why Shenmue failed?
1.) not enough people played the first game - Dreamcast failed, and so did Shenmue
2.) People don't want the sequal without playing the first game, so unless Xbox owners had a DC, they probably won't buy Shenmue
3.) Poor marketing - Shenmue 1 and 2 did an awful marketing job in my mind, I've never seen any advertising. Why would SEGA spend 20 - 70 million creating the game, and then not advertise good (at least in North America)?
4.) Its Sega - people are biased against it (look at the great Dreamcast console, look at Jet Grind Radio)
5.) The concept and game looks bad, other than the story, there aren't enough "guns, cars, and blood" to satisfy the gaming public
6.) Its difficult to get a demo that truly captures the game. I guess there was What's Shenmue in Japan, but it could't truly capture Shenmue like most demos can.
7.) Its a new style of game, liek Jet Grind Radio
8.) Poor reviews - most reviews of Shenmue 1 were only average, not prompting people to spend there money on it, Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast reviews were better, but the game had to be imported. Shenmue 2 for Xbox reviews were the worst yet, since it was simply a port of the Dreamcast game with a few added features and the good Japanese voices replaced with the shitty English ones.
9. North American Shenmue not on Dreamcast - the Shenmue fan base had Dreamcast consoles, not Xbox's. Shenmue 2 belonged on the Dreamcast, with a possibility of an Xbox port. Shenmue fans who didn't want to import the game or buy it on Ebay (as I did), and who didn't want to purchase an Xbox, didn't get to play the game. I don't know why they released Shenmue 2 on Xbox in the first place. They didn't use the hardware any better than the Dreamcast and the fan base wasn't on Xbox

However, it was not a complete failure, the sales were respectable, just not in contrast to the development budget. Also, it created the most loyal fan base of any game. And if Shenmue 1 failed so badly, why make a sequal? Also, some of you said Shenmue 3 would be announced by now if the other games didn't fail. Well this is true to a point, Sega's recent financial troubles may have prevented any game that costs so much to develop, even if its prequels did sell well. However, the poor sales of the Shenmue games sure didn't help any

Okay, so my conculsion is that if its a great game, it will be moreso because Yu wants to make a great game for personal and fan satisfaction, not money. Yu will do everything possible to make a great game, but he is not president of Sega, and it isn't entirely up to him.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FeelinLuckyPUNK » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:39 am

I think that was well put.

I believe Shenmue 'failed' because it was on DC. Had it been on PS2 it probably would have got more exposure.

The thing you said about the reviews reminded me. Is it just me or do some game reviewers talk bullshit. I mean, some people gave games high marks that were total crap yet Shenmue gets 8/10. But when you read the reviews submitted by people who have played Shenmue over and over again. They tend to be 98% or 9.5/10. This is probably because the gamers get more involved in the game and actually feel like they are Ryo Hazuki and they are after revenge...

I would hate Shenmue 3 to be 2D. Id much prefer it as just cut scenes than play in in 2D.

I personally would buy Shenmue 3 regardless of the mark it gets simply because the game has changed me forever. Im know now what a great game really is. It isnt about graphica and all that. Its about gameplay and how much the story sucks you in. That's why Shenmue has also changed my outlook on RPGS as well.
FeelinLuckyPUNK
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Neo-Ryo » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:59 pm

God the more we talk about shenmue3 the more i want it now.
Neo-Ryo
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby orient » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:43 am

I believe Shenmue 'failed' because it was on DC. Had it been on PS2 it probably would have got more exposure.

thats true, but then again if it were on ps2, the poor frame rates would have ruined the game completely, all the walls would've be flickering and it wud've drove me crazy lol, so I'm kinda glad it was on DC, plus I love the console :P

I honestly think it's time to be realistic here...we keep on getting info about people saying, 'we're going to make it...just not in a while' then we get someone saying 'it isn't official' then we get, 'it's in development' and no1 really knows the real deal here...and it's painful the waiting, it really is, but all the facts (bad sales etc) do actually point to the game not being made, god please that isn't the case but that could be the case I think... :cry:
orient
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FeelinLuckyPUNK » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:09 am

Apparently SEGA's profits have jumped 33% (according to gamespy). So does that mean shenmue has more of a chance of coming out?
FeelinLuckyPUNK
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby rome » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:11 am

thats all good ideas,but the first two games didnt sell very well i didnt see any comercials for shenmue 2 and for shenmue 1 there was barely any.....for the third and prob. the last shenmue game they need to advertise for it alot of commercial time...
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue III