10 franchises overdue a sequel

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

10 franchises overdue a sequel

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Oh dear: where to start? Yu Suzuki's 1999 magnum opus for the Dreamcast was, famously, the most expensively created game ever at the time. And miraculously - considering that it sold about three copies - it did spawn a sequel, Shenmue II. But by the time that arrived in 2001, the Dreamcast, regardless of its merits, was dead in the water, leaving such deep scars that Sega would subsequently withdraw from making consoles. Even in this day and age, you would be amazed by how good Shenmue is to play - it lets you free-roam to your heart's content, and essentially replicates everyday life in a big Japanese city (with added brawling).

The fact that Shenmue II ended on such a cliff-hanger has led entire generations of gamers to go all misty-eyed at the prospect of a third iteration, and every so often, hopes of Shenmue III are raised before, inevitably, being cruelly dashed shortly afterwards. However, you could argue that the franchise carries on in the form of Sega's best-kept secret: Yakuza. Much of the Shenmue team now works on the Yakuza titles (now up to their fourth iteration), and the Yakuza games feel nigh-identical to Shenmue in terms of gameplay.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/34 ... top_banner
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: 10 franchises overdue a sequel

Postby Spokane » Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 pm

This is one list I never hoped it would be on.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 18, 2012 1:07 pm

I want MML3 more. Also had a Cliffhanger left at II
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Thief » Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

In a perfect world we'd have both.

It also just occurred to me that in some universe, Shenmue 3, 4, 5, 6, et cetera, were all made.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I used to make jokes about Shenmue Kart racing but I can't do it anymore :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat May 19, 2012 3:35 pm

I find this list to be pretty bad
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

south carmain wrote:I find this list to be pretty bad

Agreed. And nothing against Yakuza (never played it, likely never will) but comparing Shenmue to Yakuza and suggesting this should satiate our desire for Shenmue 3 is getting really, really old. I don't care if the gameplay is similar because obviously when it comes to Shenmue it's not the gameplay that shines, but rather the presentation, story and lasting impressions.

Still, Shenmue should be definitely be on any such list and at least it was given a friendly nod.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:

Agreed. And nothing against Yakuza (never played it, likely never will) but comparing Shenmue to Yakuza and suggesting this should satiate our desire for Shenmue 3 is getting really, really old. I don't care if the gameplay is similar because obviously when it comes to Shenmue it's not the gameplay that shines, but rather the presentation, story and lasting impressions.

Still, Shenmue should be definitely be on any such list and at least it was given a friendly nod.

Agreed.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Here's another:

http://www.411mania.com/games/columns/2 ... eback-.htm\

Everyone knows how amazing the Shenmue games were, it's like rule 2 in the gaming handbook below "There is only one Mario and you shall make no other Mario's before him". People have been demanding and pleading for a Shenmue 3 for over a decade now, and yet nothing concrete has come from the once mighty Sega. The series may not have been the most profitable gaming franchise of all time, but with a decade of nostalgia behind it I think a Shenmue 3 could be the most popular yet.

I think the only thing that I would worry about would be if Sega could match what they did with the original games. It seems very unlikely that a third instalment would live up to the hype, looking at you Duke Nukem, but with a dedicated team behind the game I see no reason why this couldn't be a success. I actually think this one will happen at some point, it is too valuable to be gathering dust in the Sega storage centre.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Tue May 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:

Yeah i'm a big yakuza fan and it pisses me off also, just because in yakuza you explore a part of a city, talk to npc's and fight does not make it like shenmue at all, i put them in 2 totally different categories and even if they weren't why the heck would we settle for a substitute after 10 long years of whining, campaigning and hoping
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby spud1897 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:58 am

Yakuza is a good game in its own right, the core of wondering around and talking to NPC's is from Shenmue but the fighting system as said above isnt anything like it.

The Yakuza stories are very well told and I quite liked them, however we are onto number 5 now and as far as I am aware they havent done overly well in the west though I buy them.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby white lotus » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 am

I'm sorry, but I'm just going to come out and say it:

FUCK YAKUZA

Do you know how goddamn long I've waited - we've waited- for S3? Yakuza isn't up to par for me. It's garbage. It's a complete slap in the face to diehard Shenmue fans.

](*,)
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 am

Why do you people keep comparing the two? Like comparing Apples to Oranges.
If you keep comparing what shouldn't be then you're bound to hate or something when you're very biased to something very different. You just want to compare because it a has a few similar elements like open world and Japan. Other than that it's not alike at all. Stop trying to compare Shenmue with everything for fucks sake.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby white lotus » Wed May 23, 2012 12:19 pm

I compare them because Yakuza is the closest thing to Shenmue.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Nope. There is Mizzura Falls. Many point and clicks choose your own adventure games much more similar.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III