Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Bluecast » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 pm

](*,) All these GOTY for best RPG of the year are all going to a TPS. ME3. No it's not an RPG. 1 was a bit of one 2 was less of one and 3 was basically just a pure TPS. It's hardly an RPG. Sonic racing has RPG elements but does not makes it an RPG. Just sad.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Ys Origin is 5$ on Steam for the next few hours.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: KiBa
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 pm

I played Zombies Ate My Neighbors all day yesterday to train for today and nothing happened, no end of the world, no zombie apocalypse, no miniature scythe wielding babies... NOTHING!

On a side note, that game is really really fucked up, especially when you are stoned, but man was it a blast. :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I got some steam keys for Brazen from the Amnesia Fortnight bundle. If anyone really wants to play some 4p co-op I got three more keys.

Edit 2 keys left
Edit: last one
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RrJPX3E78[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby lavrentis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 am

Proudly playing Shenmue 2 atm.

Housemates gave it a watch for 5 mins and took the piss but I called them cunts and told them not to disrespect a classic. They hatin on the DC as well. Needless to say I am genuinely moving in with different housemates for next year.

lavrentis has received a thanks from: KiBa
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:20 am

I'm surprised my DC still works.Been quite some time since I last set it up and still runs smoothly.One of them is at least,my back up needs the lid replaced.Guessing the spring is worn out cause it will randomly send me back to the system menu while playing.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:24 am

Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:25 am

Ryudo wrote: ](*,) All these GOTY for best RPG of the year are all going to a TPS. ME3. No it's not an RPG. 1 was a bit of one 2 was less of one and 3 was basically just a pure TPS. It's hardly an RPG. Sonic racing has RPG elements but does not makes it an RPG. Just sad.

No, it's just not a JRPG. Leveling up, tactical squad building, free roam environments, sub-quests, conversation system influenced by player decisions, upgrades, karma mechanic, character creation screen... but real-time shooting sections in place of countless turn-based battles makes it a pure TPS. Nice logic, bro!

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Thief, Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Thief » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:38 am

I guess I love doing inventory at work so much I decided to do it at home... :roll:

Anyway, I took inventory on my video game collection. My brother is getting his own place and we were deciding which of our old games went to who. The toughest decision being, who gets Earthbound? Well it went to my brother, and I got our copy of A Link to the Past. It seems silly but those two games are very sentimental (those specific copies even) as they were the object of our attention for what I consider to be the happiest time of my life. When it comes down to it, we don't care at all about the value of Earthbound, it means more to us than that, and as sappy as it may be, these two games brought us closer together. We've decided that we'll only play these games together, when visiting one another, and after our painful earthbound scratch and sniff run (they all smell like ass except the monkey -- Ness smells the worst).

I've been trying, and it's been hard since I'm a sentimental bastard, to decrease the size of my video-game collection. My goal, for now, is to get it to at least 50 games in size.

Here it is if anyone is curious :P

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... on=profile
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Ryudo wrote: ](*,) All these GOTY for best RPG of the year are all going to a TPS. ME3. No it's not an RPG. 1 was a bit of one 2 was less of one and 3 was basically just a pure TPS. It's hardly an RPG. Sonic racing has RPG elements but does not makes it an RPG. Just sad.

No, it's just not a JRPG. Leveling up, tactical squad building, free roam environments, sub-quests, conversation system influenced by player decisions, upgrades, karma mechanic, character creation screen... but real-time shooting sections in place of countless turn-based battles makes it a pure TPS. Nice logic, bro!

Its been stripped down as the series has gone on but yes it is still an RPG [but i don't see it staying that way]. Still wouldn't have it as my RPG of the year simply cause it felt so un finished at times.

and that ending. :sad:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:04 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:

It really isn't tho, by that logic Call of Duty MP, Assassin's Creed and God of War are also RPGs.

See its not just stats and levels that makes an RPG, Mass Effect 1 is an RPG, it has a deep leveling system, the decisions actually mattered more (though you could make the argument that the karma system and dialogue systems means nothing because they have no truly lasting effects) and there was a very clear distinction between class types. By two everything was stripped down and the game became more shooter then RPG (ie when you took a shot in ME1 there was actually a stat that determined if you missed or not and how much damage you did, when you take a shot in ME2 it does a damage check...and thats all folks). Why bring up the character creation is completely aesthetic (if my character looks like shabba ranks Shepard can still get compliments on his good looks) Saints row has character creation as well.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:09 am

I wouldn't have had Mass Effect 3 for GOTY consideration at all regardless of what genre you think it falls in. The worst gameplay in the series, which is purely stripped down to this linear corridor shooter fest. The vast majority of the side quests are fetch quests which ultimately aren't very rewarding. Even huge story revelations and characters are hidden away by DLC and with an unsatisfying conclusion (which has been retconned twice, btw) to this epic story that took years in the making. The ending isn't even the worst part of it. The 20+ hrs it took to reach the ending is the biggest disappointment of all. Even if you pull back and look at it without the bias of playing ME 1 & 2, ME3 is just an average action game.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 am

Tuffty wrote: I wouldn't have had Mass Effect 3 for GOTY consideration at all regardless of what genre you think it falls in. The worst gameplay in the series, which is purely stripped down to this linear corridor shooter fest. The vast majority of the side quests are fetch quests which ultimately aren't very rewarding. Even huge story revelations and characters are hidden away by DLC and with an unsatisfying conclusion (which has been retconned twice, btw) to this epic story that took years in the making. The ending isn't even the worst part of it. The 20+ hrs it took to reach the ending is the biggest disappointment of all. Even if you pull back and look at it without the bias of playing ME 1 & 2, ME3 is just an average action game.

channeling the spirit of Dorian

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 am

Its a western RPG but no doubt the series has gone more to the 3rd person shooter route since EA came in.

Its also the weakest in the series and boy did i miss the Mako/Hammerhead. The new Bioware way, If something needs fixing simply remove it all together but keep scanning in because EVERYONE hated it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming