Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 am

Perhaps Peter thought that Shenmue III of his wildest dream would look like Shenmue Online ingame.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 am

Yokosuka wrote: Perhaps Peter thought that Shenmue III of his wildest dream would look like the E3 trailer or Shenmue Online ingame. You never know.

More like nightmare.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Peter mention the E3 2015 footage being completely unrepresentative of the Shenmue III he saw.

Not to put words in his mouth, but like most of us, he probably didn't find the (understandably) cheap-looking reveal impressive in any capacity other than "holy shit, Shenmue III".
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:45 am

If indeed the trailer depicts the Shenmue "feel", I would feel satisfied.

If it succeeds not to show any Unreal Engine 4 evidence, I would feel VERY satisfied.

The Daytona 3 teaser was underwhelming partly because of that.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:56 am

Shenhua's house already looked extremely faithful to the original, especially the interiors. So I don't doubt Peter's impression.

The concern here is the character models, which would be much harder to replicate... The E3 trailer actually had good/decent backgrounds,it was the character models that brought it down.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:17 am

The character model from the E3 trailer was ok for something made from scratch. I don't know why people made a fuss about that.

What's really worrying is the character model from the other games. All studios are able to achieve gorgeous face and body designs and no doubt Ryo will look awesome but no one has managed to modelize unique NPCs in the Shenmue way so far. So expecting a character design up to Shenmue I & II level is quite challenging, I agree.

I suppose YSnet will try something between self-made models and procedural generation like they did for the building rooms in Shenmue II but with a higher level of quality.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:34 am

Yokosuka wrote: If indeed the trailer depicts the Shenmue "feel", I would feel satisfied.

If it succeeds not to show any Unreal Engine 4 evidence, I would feel VERY satisfied.

Is Daytona 3 being made on UE4?

Either way, UE4 is a very versatile engine that is capable of many different looks, unlike UE3. You just need to go look at Gears of War 4 and compare it to the shots of say, Kingdom Hearts 3 to see that it is capable of creating vastly different looking games.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:48 am

Yokosuka wrote: If indeed the trailer depicts the Shenmue "feel", I would feel satisfied.

I would be satisfied just with the Dreamcast graphics, so I'm sure I'll like what they are going to achieve with this new engine. However, I preffer If they can get rid of that Unreal feel/style.

I've just seen the Daytona 3 trailer and leaved me dissapointed, it looks ugly and dated in my opinion. I was a fan of the game but this time I'll pass.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:56 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Perhaps Peter thought that Shenmue III of his wildest dream would look like the E3 trailer or Shenmue Online ingame. You never know.

More like nightmare.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Peter mention the E3 2015 footage being completely unrepresentative of the Shenmue III he saw.

Not to put words in his mouth, but like most of us, he probably didn't find the (understandably) cheap-looking reveal impressive in any capacity other than "holy shit, Shenmue III".

I'm pretty curious about graphic level, Peter looked very impressed judging by his words, could it be possible that they achieve something similar to the level of Uncharted 4?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 am

^ Uncharted 4 is the best looking game of all time, calm down dude :lol:

Spaghetti wrote:

Is Daytona 3 being made on UE4?

I could have a bet on it. The gameplay videos don't look so bad though.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I'm pretty curious about graphic level, Peter looked very impressed judging by his words, could it be possible that they achieve something similar to the level of Uncharted 4?

No.

Without even seeing it, I can tell you that Shenmue III has nowhere near the budget or resources for the outright realism-chasing pixel-pushing that Uncharted 4 has. Only top-tier AAA games can really hope to have that kind of look.

Shenmue III is more likely going to rely on its art direction, unique environments, and attention to detail to look amazing. UE4 is a great engine that can help them achieve modern standards in graphics easier than without it, but at some point you come up against walls of budget, time, staff, and current hardware limitations.

Shenmue III doesn't need to be the graphical powerhouse the original was on Dreamcast at all to evoke the same feeling, judging from what Peter has said, and I agree. I don't think Shenmue's distinct visual style is down to just the fact it was the best looking game ever at the time.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Hazuki00
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:11 am

Yokosuka wrote:I could have a bet on it. The gameplay videos don't look so bad though.

Eh, without confirmation then it's probably best not to assume.

Besides, much like all we've seen of Shenmue III so far, the Daytona 3 footage is from a prototype build and clearly they've wanted to put gameplay first in development.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:30 am

What gameplay? They only took the engine from the original Arcade versions, made some adjustments and added new content and features around. The development is almost complete.

UE4 or not, the teaser showed a really generic visual. From a company AND a franchise famous for their sense of vibes and colours, this is rather anticlimactic.

But as I said, the game looks ok in the last footage. That teaser was damn terribly done.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:44 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:I'm pretty curious about graphic level, Peter looked very impressed judging by his words, could it be possible that they achieve something similar to the level of Uncharted 4?

No.

Without even seeing it, I can tell you that Shenmue III has nowhere near the budget or resources for the outright realism-chasing pixel-pushing that Uncharted 4 has. Only top-tier AAA games can really hope to have that kind of look.

Shenmue III is more likely going to rely on its art direction, unique environments, and attention to detail to look amazing. UE4 is a great engine that can help them achieve modern standards in graphics easier than without it, but at some point you come up against walls of budget, time, staff, and current hardware limitations.

Shenmue III doesn't need to be the graphical powerhouse the original was on Dreamcast at all to evoke the same feeling, judging from what Peter has said, and I agree. I don't think Shenmue's distinct visual style is down to just the fact it was the best looking game ever at the time.

I know that the budget is limited, I didn't meant at the same level technically, rather "atractiveness" visually. They have a great engine and a legendary team so I think visually they could achieve something as good like (or more) than Uncharted 4.

Keep in mind what Nokon Kid attained alone, I was impressed when I saw it and Nokon is with them now..
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:07 am

Yokosuka wrote: What gameplay? They only took the engine from the original Arcade versions, made some adjustments and added new content and features around. The development is almost complete.

UE4 or not, the teaser showed a really generic visual. From a company AND a franchise famous for their sense of vibes and colours, this is rather anticlimactic.

But as I said, the game looks ok in the last footage. That teaser was damn terribly done.

You're kind of underestimating the effort involved. You don't just dust off a 20 year game engine and fit it to modern standards like it was an easy job. For every bit of code you're adding it's potentially messing something up elsewhere, so I have to assume they've done a lengthy job tweaking things back into place as they should be for a Daytona game.

But regardless, it still has the super-saturated look of Daytona, and SEGA is taking it to arcade expos for the express purpose of feedback anyway. It won't blow your mind like the original did, because there's no way the cabinet contains an industry-leading set of hardware, and it seems they're going for a simplistic art style on purpose - so, mileage may vary no matter what.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:30 am

All game developments need effort. But in the sense of Daytona USA 3, it looks more like an opportunity for old employees and friends to find each other and bring back good memories from the past while pleasing the Sega fans at the same time. There's no really ambition in this game and it's an assumed act. Don't expect a significant upgrade from what we've seen at the moment.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III