Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Kiske » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:57 am

BlueMue wrote: I don't think it's a conscious decision to keep the original aspect ratio just to keep it well... original.

Since games aren't like film you can just make more stuff visible on the sides to fill widescreen instead of cropping and losing someting from the top and bottom. And that's the key here, nothing is lost, so nothing envisioned is ruined. On top of that I don't recall any instance of a cutscene in Shenmue that doesn't work with the more cinematic widescreen, they are all improved. And after all they introduced that look with black bars in Shenmue II.

Anyway I defend the point that nothing is to be taken as a fact from the screenshots we've seen to far. And because we've seen both cutscenes and gameplay in original format and full widescreen to me matches with the fact that there will be an option to chose this. Beyond that they are also definately still testing things out at this stage.


Maybe that's what is meant in the press release with "fully scalable screen resolution"?

Wouldn't it be cool to have the choice to play with the original 4:3 screen ratio and resolution up to full 1080p 16:9 with or without 16:9 cutscenes?
Those, who follow the path of a warrior, must be ready to die, in order to stand for one's convictions, live for one's convictions, die for one's convictions. That is how I lived my life.

Image
User avatar
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 am

Peter wrote:

So for those of you who have highlighted the issues with what you have seen so far... What are you actually doing about it? If you are passionate enough to post here about current issues, why are you assuming talking about it here will get the job done? It won't. In this world of social media, why are you not taking to platforms where you can access the people you need to speak to? It's not hard to work out how.

Why are you assuming they didn't contact the developers? I can only speak for myself, but I sent the developer a tweet about it.

But discussing those flaws in the forums has a lot of merit as well, for example, there are things that I would not have noticed if the fellow Dojo-ers didn't point it out. Plus, if we can actually compile a list of all the flaws that we could observe in the latest material and send it to them, there is a slight chance that it might make a positive difference...

Peter wrote:
As for shutting down or stifling anything, I haven't seen a single topic locked yet, so I don't know where you are getting that impression. People are posting their thoughts and opinions and just because someone has the total opposite opinion isn't shutting anything down at all. People who disagree with your "thoughts and opinions" are not D3T spokespeople so don't make the accusation again. You haven't mentioned a single positive about this entire event, from its price point to its multiple platform release and how it will potentially benefit sales of Shenmue 3, but you want to have a go at people "stifling" conversation. Yea, I don't think so.

You're really combing through peoples' post history so you could prove a point? And you're wrong anyway, I rejoiced in my first post regarding the announcement, and anticipated it's release date.

I never really accused anyone from the moderation team for locking threads, so I don't see where you got that impression. As I've said, my response is to a general sentiment I've noticed (and not just here). Just look at the first few replies to Esppiral's thread.

Peter wrote: People who disagree with your "thoughts and opinions" are not D3T spokespeople so don't make the accusation again.

What a pitiful Strawman.


Reprise wrote:I don't even know what people expect the developers to do?

"Oh wait, the cutscenes are in 4:3!? Oh thank you for bringing it to our attention, as we had absolutely no idea! We hadn't even noticed. We will fix that right away"

No, I don't think anyone is that obtuse. A possibility is that it's doable, but a pain in the ass to implement... So they could decide against implementing it if they think like you in this post, that a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 is acceptable in this day and age. (Hint: it's not.)

Fans voicing their displeasure at the disparity might incentivise them go through and implement it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll happily play the game at 4:3, at 420p... But new players will definitely be put off by that... And the 'critics', don't get me started, as if they needed more reasons to justify anti-Shenmue rhetoric.
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2008

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:22 am

It's not so much the voicing of concern that's the problem. That's fine, if you have concerns that you want to discuss then fair enough, go for it. We just ask that you use a little bit of common sense.

It's the jumping to illogical conclusions and stating them as fact (e.g. suggesting there will be 4:3 in the final product, or that the remaster is being based on a beta version of Shenmue) that's the problem when there's so much information to suggest otherwise. It's not like the developers aren't aware of the issues in a mid-development build of the game, yet people seem to assume that this is the case for some reason. Trust me, they know.

The screenshots aren't indicative of the final product, they're simply little teases to get us excited. They didn't have to show any in game material at all, and to be honest maybe it would have been better that way.
Jibby!
Player of Shenmue
Check out Jibmue on Youtube!
User avatar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: February 2014
Location: Scotland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:52 am

Jibby wrote:It's not so much the voicing of concern that's the problem. That's fine, if you have concerns that you want to discuss then fair enough, go for it. We just ask that you use a little bit of common sense.

It's the jumping to illogical conclusions and stating them as fact (e.g. suggesting there will be 4:3 in the final product, or that the remaster is being based on a beta version of Shenmue) that's the problem when there's so much information to suggest otherwise. It's not like the developers aren't aware of the issues in a mid-development build of the game, yet people seem to assume that this is the case for some reason. Trust me, they know.

The screenshots aren't indicative of the final product, they're simply little teases to get us excited. They didn't have to show any in game material at all, and to be honest maybe it would have been better that way.


Did anyone really suggest that it will be 4:3 in the final product and passed it as fact? I don't think anyone did, and I would agree that it's illogical to think like that.

What I am saying is that we shouldn't 'rest on our laurels', so to speak, based on the baseless knowledge that the developers will, in-fact, address these issues. In actuality, we don't know if they will.

Is it likely that they will fix them? Absolutely, but the possibility that they won't still remains, and so fan feedback this early in development is never a bad thing.
User avatar
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2008

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:07 am

Rikitatsu wrote:Did anyone really suggest that it will be 4:3 in the final product and passed it as fact? I don't think anyone did, and I would agree that it's illogical to think like that.

What I am saying is that we shouldn't 'rest on our laurels', so to speak, based on the baseless knowledge that the developers will, in-fact, address these issues. In actuality, we don't know if they will.

Is it likely that they will fix them? Absolutely, but the possibility that they won't still remains, and so fan feedback this early in development is never a bad thing.

And that's fine, nobody is trying to say that these concerns shouldn't be discussed. However, I feel like there is an overwhelming sense of pessimism and negativity when these discussions are made. As Shenmue fans, this should be a time to celebrate but instead it almost feels like people are trying to downplay the achievement by pointing out every little flaw and responding so negatively.

We should be optimistic that these concerns will be addressed, not pessimistic because they exist in the first place. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Jibby!
Player of Shenmue
Check out Jibmue on Youtube!
User avatar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: February 2014
Location: Scotland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 am

Rikitatsu wrote: Why are you assuming they didn't contact the developers? I can only speak for myself, but I sent the developer a tweet about it


I know it's not a big deal but I think the most important thing to do is to inform D3T that the Xbox version is not the reference version. Sega should have warned them that Yu Suzuki has not directed the port... I presume it's too late though. The Xbox source code may be way easier to port as well.
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Reprise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 am

This is the problem with remasters. In an ideal world, the player would be able to customise the ezperience for themselves. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Xbox port, but it has enough enhancements that means fans are generally split down the middle on which version they prefer, as there are pros and cons to each port. I'd rather the Dreamcast version was used as the source and then SOME of the enhancements from the Xbox version were added.
User avatar
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: March 2009
Location: somewhere deep in the UK...

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Telekill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 am

At this point I'm just happy the Shenmue HD Collection is happening. I'd prefer widescreen/non-stretched gameplay and cut scenes but if they turn out to be standard 4:3 aspect ratio, it won't burst my bubble.
Image

Telekill has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
User avatar
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: July 2015
PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

In terms of essential features that I've wanted in a 'Shenmue HD' now that it's real: I'm absolutely overjoyed that they've gotten my most essential out of the way English + Japanese audio with the rest being achievements, higher resolution, retaining the original aesthetic we all grew up with and . I'm also glad classic controls are retained!

It's really cool that they managed to get widescreen support, it also looks cool seeing this in all the Shenmue streams online. As far as the 4:3 cutscenes go, I'd definitely choose gameplay being wide out of the two but I don't actually mind the 4:3 for cutscenes at all tbf if that's what they had to settle with.

The only thing is: I hope they can make a nice transition between the two aspect ratios if they do settle for 4:3 cutscenes. When you're in gameplay and you've suddenly activated a cutscene, it'd be nice to have the borders gradually transition/fade to black, just so that the two ratios flow more organically and that they don't appear jarring from one scene to the next.

Either way, if they don't it's honestly not the biggest deal breaker for me. A lot of these challenges reminds me of what developer 'Code Mystics' when through when remastering Phantom Dust last year for XB1/W10. They struggled to get the game work in all high resolutions and widescreen at first, people noticed and in towards the very end they figured it out, but they noted just how difficult it was working with old Japanese code (60fps etc wasn't achievable in the end). However: they didn't have the advantage of working with the source code: they had to hack into it straight from a retail disc, yikes!

User avatar
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: March 2012
Location: UK
PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Jesse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

According to a translation of the Famitsu article. The gameplay is 16:9 while cutscenes are 4:3. This is a bit disappointing just because the first time through it'll be a tiny bit jarring for me personally. I was hoping for it to be a seamless 16:9 experience with small bells and whistles thrown onto the package. Oh well no big loss still buying five.
User avatar
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: February 2006
Location: Memphis, TN, U.S.A.
PSN: Jrockstr

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: The only thing is: I hope they can make a nice transition between the two aspect ratios if they do settle for 4:3 cutscenes. When you're in gameplay and you've suddenly activated a cutscene, it'd be nice to have the borders gradually transition/fade to black, just so that the two ratios flow more organically and that they don't appear jarring from one scene to the next.


For me, this ^ would work just fine.

It always bugged me in The Last of Us when there would be a split-second of black when transitioning between gameplay and cutscene. Just jarring.
Check out Rising Tiger Films, ya'll!
http://www.youtube.com/bolomctigerthunder

Your Boy Leroy has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
User avatar
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: May 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: God of War

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby TheThirdComing » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 am

They've shown more screenshots:
Image

Image

Source - https://gematsu.com/gallery/shenmue-i-ii/april-19-2018/

Oh Gee... I'm really starting to get upset by this. How can they think having the Gaemplay in 16:9 and cutscenes in 4:3 is acceptable, If they're Pre-Renedered like the Devil May Cry HD Collection then maybe - But then even the Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster had their CGI Cutscenes (And all In-game cutscenes) convereted. This will be so jarring to the experience.

I know people here are saying it's in development but it is set for this year! i can't see the sudden chance happening. I know i shuold be grateful for this release happening and support it to gather newcomers for the Shenmue III Campaign but if this bothers me, I knwo this is going to put off a lot more people. Just really dissapointed now.
Image
+ 2 Extra copies on disc, 2x Shenmue HD copies & backed the documentary - I'm in this with you!
User avatar
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby fischkopf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:24 am

I sincerely hope they're not leaving the game like that. Going back and forth between 16:9 in gameplay and 4:3 in cutscenes seems pretty annoying and immersion breaking. It would be a shame if they have the source code but do nothing with it to improve the experience. In the end it's all about time and money and if SEGA isn't providing the additional funding to make these important adjustments, they are the ones to blame.
fischkopf
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative
 
Joined: March 2009

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 am

Try and not get too disappointed. The images we have been getting from both Shenmue and Shenmue 2, both in-game and cutscene, have all been a mix of full screen, 4:3 bordered, and 16:9 bordered. It's a little confusing, so it's best to hold off until we get more information from Sega on why exactly this is. The images could just be showing the options the user has at their disposal. We just don't know yet.
Image

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Reprise, Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
User avatar
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: Belfast
PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:37 am

Dat Ryo and Nozomi one looks REALLY good! Seems like some bloom lighting is in effect. Don't mind the 4:3 if it's gonna look that good. But we will see.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Reprise
User avatar
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: September 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net